Ultralight Challenge!

MRUTVOL

I went to Kentucky Lake yesterday with a couple friends. We were fishing for bluegill and shellcrakers with crickets using ultralight gear. I had a 4 ft 8 inch rod with 6 pound line and using a number 4 gold wire hook. I landed my second largest fish on ultralight gear. I caught 2 catfish with the biggest weighing 14 lbs and the other 9 lbs. Took me almost 30 mins to land . We also caught almost 100 big bluegills and shellcrackers.

DSC00094_edited.jpg

stik

99.9% of my fishing is with a 5 ft. UL with 4 lb line. i have landed hybrids up to 21 lbs., several 20+ lb catfish, many large carp(fishing for carp is how i learned how to handle big fish on light tackle).

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I always seem to put down my bass rods and go to my ultralight rod. Always enjoyable to catch fish on the light tackle.

Musta been fun trying to bring in a 14lb fish...envy ya for that.

MRUTVOL

stik said:
99.9% of my fishing is with a 5 ft. UL with 4 lb line. i have landed hybrids up to 21 lbs., several 20+ lb catfish, many large carp(fishing for carp is how i learned how to handle big fish on light tackle).

I tried the 4 lbs test line for a while but it was just to hard on the nerves! :crazy: Like fishing with sewing thread. If you have deep water with no obstructions to speak of then you can kind of just float with the fish but with 4 lbs line there is very little room for error. I went to 6 lb years ago simply because I was losing to many good fish with the 4 lb. Heck I had some big bull bluegills and shellcrackers break my line. I will say I do admire anybody who can land 20lbs plus fish on it for sure. My nerves would be shot! :D

Latest posts