TWRA proposals

TNDeerGuy

You guys need to get on the phone and email, and hold TWRA's feet to the fire on this one. The gun season guys are getting their season extended at the expense of us archery users, although they are effectively shortening the season for everyone�us archery users and bearing the burden on this one! I'm afraid it is either because some nimrod doesn't know how to read a calender, or the TWRA thinks there is some nimrod that doesn't know how to use a calender�probably right, but not our fault!

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/7022

TNDeerGuy

Beekeeper said:
Can't you still archery hunt when gun season is going on?

Absolutely you can, but under these new proposals you will being sharing two weeks of your archery time in October with shotgun blasting turkey hunters and 10 days, or so, is being taken away from you at the end of the year!

deerchaser007

Can't help you,.... i personally favor the season closing jan 1st,. i've seen to many times young bucks start dropping horns end of dec/first of jan,.. so i support that idea. I'm also a fall turkey hunter,.. and hated it in dec,..HATED!! So i support that change. I'm also a crossbow shooter,.. and can live without those days,.. but they could have opened archery a week earlier also. I'm a sportsman,.. i think the recommendations are fair for everyone,.. whatever you want to shoot or hunt.

I don't like 7 continuous weeks of boom in the woods,.. i think its the wrong direction,.. but,.. what they did does make sense,.. for the hunters,.. not the herd!!

leebowhunts

I have only seen one dead buck ever that lost his horns before The middle of jan. It was on the juvy hunt a few years ago. I have never seen any or heard anyone talk of it on here.I think that is bull, I hate the thought of losing days of hunting season or giving any time to a turkey hunter who has spring time to hunt. The so called reason behind this is so small game hunters have more time. good lets close their season from the rest of the fall to just after Jan 1st. sounds fair to me. It gets back to who pays the bills here in the state. Never hear anyone say Im buying my out of state license or my sportsman so I can hunt squirrl.NO its the deer hunting. Cant say what I really feel about the DA who made these proposals.
deerchaser007 said:
Can't help you,.... i personally favor the season closing jan 1st,. i've seen to many times young bucks start dropping horns end of dec/first of jan,.. so i support that idea. I'm also a fall turkey hunter,.. and hated it in dec,..HATED!! So i support that change. I'm also a crossbow shooter,.. and can live without those days,.. but they could have opened archery a week earlier also. I'm a sportsman,.. i think the recommendations are fair for everyone,.. whatever you want to shoot or hunt.

I don't like 7 continuous weeks of boom in the woods,.. i think its the wrong direction,.. but,.. what they did does make sense,.. for the hunters,.. not the herd!!

RAFI

Really only one?our group has taken several over the years.i hunt with a bow but i don't see what the big deal is.we get to bowhunt plenty of days and i always thought that dec bow only time was stupid.not many people are going to hunt it.
leebowhunts said:
I have only seen one dead buck ever that lost his horns before The middle of jan. It was on the juvy hunt a few years ago. I have never seen any or heard anyone talk of it on here.I think that is bull, I hate the thought of losing days of hunting season or giving any time to a turkey hunter who has spring time to hunt. The so called reason behind this is so small game hunters have more time. good lets close their season from the rest of the fall to just after Jan 1st. sounds fair to me. It gets back to who pays the bills here in the state. Never hear anyone say Im buying my out of state license or my sportsman so I can hunt squirrl.NO its the deer hunting. Cant say what I really feel about the DA who made these proposals.
deerchaser007 said:

BlackBelt

I usually don't hear as many guns during the Jan. 1-10,11th dates (I hunt mostly with a crossbow). I think a lot of people aren't hunting those dates.
However, it IS when I hunt the most, as my job duties are light that first couple of weeks of January. I usually make my best kills and put meat on the table that first week of January.

I'm sure that TWRA has their reasons, but between this and the hog thing, I've also bought a MS license this year. Will probably not buy another TN license after this year except for fishing.

Beekeeper

I guess some folks just see the glass half empty and never half full. All I've heard is that we have lost days to hunt even though we still have one of the longest deer seasons around.

I bowhunt, but the changes are a good thing. Bow hunters have 98 days of bowhunting, muzzleloader hunters have 12 days, and rifle hunters have 43 days. How in the world is that not fair? The "gun guys" season has not been lengthened at all.

TheLBLman

Hillbilly Hunter said:
I don't know what that is, but ok, I've been called worse I guess. :D
Was referring to our TWRA Big Game Guy, Daryl Ratajczak, the guy who "coordinated" most of those changes. :)

Us hillbillies can neither correctly pronounce nor spell, but you'uns know what we mean. ;)

Twin Bridge Kennels

I personaly agree with twra on this issue it has been a long time comming. and I also bought my lifetime sportsman licences 10yrs ago just for small game hunting I also bought 2 more lifetime sportsman licences for my kids.

Rubberduck270

The changes are a good thing. Yes they could have opened bow season a week earlier but if you are a serious bow hunter you can take your bow all during muzzle loader and rifle season.

TWRA officials don't simply make these decisions overnight. They do studies and collect data on when the most deer are harvested and the overall harvest numbers for the year. Yes, it may seem like they don't know what they are doing from time to time but they do know.

Latest posts