Turtles

Snowwolfe

Do turtles migrate? Up till this week I have never seen a turtle around our property. This week between the wife and I we seen five, all on our driveway or the road in front of our place. We picked them off the road and carried them to the creek so they would be safe.
Pretty sure they were all "box" turtles, shells averaged 10-12 inches long from front to rear.

Biggun4214

I've never saw a box turtle that size. Box turtles are not aquatic. That big are probably snapping turtles. Males travel from water to water to breed. Females travel to lay down eggs.

Biggun4214

They could have been sliders or map turtles as well. Box turtles have a domed shell and are usually only about 5-7 inches max.

Snowwolfe

Found another. Still interested to know why we never seen one before and now they are all over the place.

Attachments

• turtle.JPG
    turtle.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,264

Biggun4214

Box turtles don't do too well in a creek. There may be some construction or something changing their habitat causing them to move. They seem to move on wet, rainy days later in the summer/early fall.

Rockhound

Biggun4214":r8aw1xge said:
Box turtles don't do too well in a creek. There may be some construction or something changing their habitat causing them to move. They seem to move on wet, rainy days later in the summer/early fall.

They are laying eggs right now so they may be hunting suitable nest sites. We had one yesterday laying eggs I'm the corner post dirt to the cabin we are building

Mike Belt

I've seen a couple of small ones but nothing like newly hatched turtles. They must hide pretty good until they get some size on them.