Turkey vests.

chrmayo

Who hunts without a vest. I've had a couple and still have them. But I have never just had a vest that I really care for. Maybe I've just had the wrong ones. What's everyone else's opinion.

woodsman04

Not a vest guru but I'll give my input.
I Have always used the Mossy oak super elites, I've had the original, the two, and I don't remember what number I'm on now. They are ok I guess. Decent pockets. Comfortable, and can carry everything you need. Seat is ok, but I've never had just a cushion that was good and comfortable for a long sit. If you only put a couple things in them they are light, but if you fill them up it gets heavy. Also pretty hot on hot days.

Now days I only use a vest for certain situations. If it's cold, or if it's a chance of rain so that I can put my rain gear or heavy jacket in the back pouch.

I've gotten to where if I use the vest, I take the cushion off and just use one of the various brands of turkey chairs or gobbler loungers. These are extremely comfortable, they are light weight but can be somewhat cumbersome to haul around.

Most of my hunts I bring the turkey chair and the Tom teasers "turkey purse". I only use mouth calls, a couple of pots and a couple of tubes so I don't need much. Just put my gloves, mask, shells, pot calls and strikers, and a bottle water and a apple or something in it and take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

I use the Cabelas Tactical TATR with the kickstand and I like it a lot. With the kickstand it can be a little heavier but the kickstand is removable. Plenty of pockets if needed and the seat is pretty comfy if you sit for a while. And there is also some lumbar pads for your back when leaning against trees. They are a little bit of money but with it to me. I am actually buying another one just in case they stop making them.

hooks

Rakkin6":2o33kz2k said:
I use the Cabelas Tactical TATR with the kickstand and I like it a lot. With the kickstand it can be a little heavier but the kickstand is removable. Plenty of pockets if needed and the seat is pretty comfy if you sit for a while. And there is also some lumbar pads for your back when leaning against trees. They are a little bit of money but with it to me. I am actually buying another one just in case they stop making them.

I use the Tactical TATR as well and love it. For the price, I don't think you can beat it. Only thing that's missing is a pocket / pouch in the back for a water bladder. Feel like they would bump the price up pretty good if they added one though so no complaints here.

If I am going to be sitting in one spot for an afternoon or morning, I will leave the vest in the truck and just take a couple calls and my hunting chair in with me. I used to think a vest was an absolute necessity, but as I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that it is just a luxury and can be left behind if convenient.

Boll Weevil

I pack light and don't carry much so can get by with one of the Ol'Tom vests. My only complaint is the magnets that hold the seat cushion up could be a little stronger but other than that I'm happy with it.

Longbow2240

I've always been a vest person, but last couple of seasons have really been considering going with some sort of satchel type bag. Just ordered a minimalist satchel from Glenda Green. Can't wait to give it a try this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gravey

hooks":1jz3mp8h said:
Rakkin6":1jz3mp8h said:

I use the Tactical TATR as well and love it. For the price, I don't think you can beat it. Only thing that's missing is a pocket / pouch in the back for a water bladder. Feel like they would bump the price up pretty good if they added one though so no complaints here.

If I am going to be sitting in one spot for an afternoon or morning, I will leave the vest in the truck and just take a couple calls and my hunting chair in with me. I used to think a vest was an absolute necessity, but as I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that it is just a luxury and can be left behind if convenient.
I used to have the tactical Tat'r with kickstand but it gets too hot for me so I sold it. Very comfortable for sure. Now I carry an over the shoulder cross body pack and turkey lounger seat. I do like the looks of the Alps one above.

hooks

Gravey":1hvmircq said:
hooks":1hvmircq said:
Rakkin6":1hvmircq said:

I used to have the tactical Tat'r with kickstand but it gets too hot for me so I sold it. Very comfortable for sure. Now I carry an over the shoulder cross body pack and turkey lounger seat. I do like the looks of the Alps one above.

Those Alps Grand Slam vests are the Lamborghinis of turkey vests IMO. They're priced like it too! When the Tactical TATR has given out, I will probably break the bank and get one. Gonna get all of the mileage I can out of the TATR.

timberjack86

I have always used a h.s strut vest. I love having a padded back rest and seat. I used to carry everything in it but as the years go by I carry less and less. I always stuff my bird in the game pouch. It's a whole lot easier to carry one a couple miles back to the truck that way.

scn

I use one of these : https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2166015 and a turkey lounger.

I camoed mine up from the stock version. It has two main compartments, and the zippered pockets on each side. I particularly like the straps that come across the top where I can strap down a rain coat or an outer layer while I am moving. I was in a vest for a long time, and like this a lot better.

Displaced_Vol

I've got an old Cabelas Run n' Gun (or something like that). Minimal but I've liked it.
I am thinking my next one will be a more expensive one. Totally get the trade off and like the idea of staying lean & mean, but my antsy ass can't sit still for long so I appreciate the comfort of a good vest & pad. Helps me be more patient if my legs aren't going to sleep or I'm not shifting my weight every 2-3 minutes.

Latest posts