Turkey Vest

Gravey

Contemplating getting a new vest but not sure which one. I have an old one that the zippers have busted, pockets torn and held up by safety pins and it has lots of "character" shall we say so I'm contemplating a new one. One area I have is small acreage so I normally carry a turkey lounger chair and don't worry about a seat pad or vest with built-in frame but given the chance I like to run and gun a little without the chair. What are some good vests to look at? I was in Bass Pro yesterday and looked at the Redhead Turkey Lounger if I remember the name correct. Lots of pockets and an internal seat frame but the seat part was fairly thin. What else is out there to look at?

eweisner

I wonder if I ran into you at Bass Pro, I was there for the same reason. Right now economy is the name of the game as far as hunting gear goes. I saw a cheaper $29.99 version, $49.00 Redhead, and then the HS Strut caught my attention. I had seen it on Amazon but was unsure about it because I couldn't put hands on it. The triangular shape as well as the thickness of the seat caught my attention. Anyone have any experience with this particular vest?

wkyhunter

TNhunter said:
Russell elite series vests.
I've owned 2 and they are great vests. Lots of pockets and the Super Elite 3 has a really good seat.
I recently picked one up from Uncle Lees (wingsupply.com) in Greenville,KY for a buddy. They only had M/L and 3XL but the 3XL I picked up for him fit more like a XL. There are several straps front and on the seat pad that will allow you to adjust for fit.
Best part is the vest is $29.99 plus shipping.

wkyhunter

eweisner said:
I wonder if I ran into you at Bass Pro, I was there for the same reason. Right now economy is the name of the game as far as hunting gear goes. I saw a cheaper $29.99 version, $49.00 Redhead, and then the HS Strut caught my attention. I had seen it on Amazon but was unsure about it because I couldn't put hands on it. The triangular shape as well as the thickness of the seat caught my attention. Anyone have any experience with this particular vest?
If its the HS Strut I'm thinking about they have them at Walmart for $40 and the seat is only about 1" or so thick doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable. They do seem to have pretty well layed out pockets and if I remember right the back game pouch unsnapps to fully open.
I bought one last year after season at Walmart for $20 to try late season, I think it will be cooler because it's a strap vest. I think wing supply had them too, but I don't know how the shipping would hit ya.

REN

Just my 2 cents but if I were to buy a new vest it would have to be one I can use for years, quality make and can do anything I need it to do for my hinting style. I have had cheaper ones in the past and end up buying a new one every few years so I just sucked it up and bought a good one finally. However if I had to get a new one today it would be the cabelas tactical tatr' II.

expensive up front but a fantastic best that will last for years

timberjack86

I love my h.s strut vest. I have owned alot of vests but this one is the best by far. The seat cushion is plenty comfortable and I sometimes set up on a gobbler up to 3 hours. There is even a side pocket for your thermacell.I put a 19 ib gobbler in the back of it last year and I think it could hold alot more than 19 ibs.I normally just throw my bird over my shoulder but it was about a mile walk to the truck.

tasaman

Have the Super Elite 2 and it's real nice. Only thing I want to mod on it is I am going to have installed magnets for the seat. The Ol'Tom has them and you just flip the seat up and it sticks to the magnets. Then you can buckle it up if you need to.

Would I buy one again? For the money I spent...$30 yes. To get a more technical vest I would go with the Ol'Tom. They have about 4 models at Bass Pro when I was there and aside from the cheap strap vest they start at $80 and go to 140 I think. But the turkey will run to you to check out your new vest I swear!

Gravey

eweisner said:
I was there between 4:00 and 5:00. Checked out the vests, looked at some scopes, and then camping mats before heading out.

Thanks everybody. The big thing is a comfortable seat. I really liked the Redhead Turkey Lounger but not sure about how long I could sit on the seat. Guess I could always throw my seat I use on deer stands in the back pouch. I do remember seeing the Russel Elite ones too and liked them as well. Guess I've got a little more looking to do. Thanks again for the info.

Gravey

REN said:
Just my 2 cents but if I were to buy a new vest it would have to be one I can use for years, quality make and can do anything I need it to do for my hinting style. I have had cheaper ones in the past and end up buying a new one every few years so I just sucked it up and bought a good one finally. However if I had to get a new one today it would be the cabelas tactical tatr' II.

expensive up front but a fantastic best that will last for years
I just looked this one up and I love how it has the frame so you can sit anywhere and have a back support. Sure wish Bass Pro had one like that since I have almost $190 in free money built up not counting a couple of gift cards.

REN

yeah you can get them without the frame as well for a bit cheaper but the same vest set up. They are very good vests and IMO well worth the money for what you get.

Like i said before, i dont have one as i still have my Little Big Horn vest with the frame they quit making but if i HAD to buy one today it would be the Cabelas one.

TheAirMan

I believe if I buy another one it will a Cabela's super tat'r. I bought one of the H.S. one's at walmart last year. I wasn't crazy about it. It seemed to hang low on me and the pockets were deeper than I liked. I think I hunted with it once or twice then put it up and went back to my Redhead Striker.

Rockhound

I bought a field and stream tonight at dicks cuz i had some coupons it might not be grade a but it sure beats my wal mart fieldline has plenty pockets inside and out and about a 4 in thick seat as compared to an inch on the fieldline

Latest posts