Turkey Nest

DoubleRidge

Spot spraying some thistle in one of our food plots today and the hen flushing from a distance of 4 feet about gave me a heart attack.....around a dozen eggs....I wrapped up quickly and backed out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_142942656~2.jpg
    IMG_20210501_142942656~2.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 119

DoubleRidge

Cool. It's that time. I don't drive thru nesty looking areas or mow til after Memorial Day...May is a crucial month in terms of nest and poult survival.

Thankfully I was on foot spot spraying with hand held tank....patch of thistle....glad I wasn't on tractor spraying....the food plot is hers now....I'm not touching anything till I know she's done.

megalomaniac

Good move! She is likely in the first two weeks of incubation. Consider mowing a couple of 6ft strips through the plot away from her if the plot is thick with your fall planting. Won't flush her, and will provide travel corridors for the poults to bug and move with close access to cover. No reason for them to ever leave as long as there is a water source nearby.

If your plot is thin, you don't need to do anything further except leave her alone to do her job (except for setting nesting predator traps... but keep that on the downlow, as trapping season is out).

I hope you get to watch her and her babies grow throughout the summer!

Hens need all the help we can give them this time of the year!

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Spot spraying some thistle in one of our food plots today and the hen flushing from a distance of 4 feet about gave me a heart attack.....around a dozen eggs....I wrapped up quickly and backed out.
It would great if you would do trail cam surveillance on the nest. It's likely to get robbed and if so we would know what little vermin to target. I would really enjoy the weekly update. Name the thread, " Henrietta and the dirty dozen". I'll stay tuned for the next episode!

DoubleRidge

It would great if you would do trail cam surveillance on the nest. It's likely to get robbed and if so we would know what little vermin to target. I would really enjoy the weekly update. Name the thread, " Henrietta and the dirty dozen". I'll stay tuned for the next episode!

If I had a wireless cell cam I would do this.... interesting idea.... But I'd hate to enter her area that often to change cards and risk flushing her again or drawing any attention to the area....after several weeks I will try to observe to determine if she was successful.....nest I found last year appeared to have made it when I returned. Pictures attached are before and after of last year's nest.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_145146449~2.jpg
    IMG_20200712_145146449~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200801_125255612~2.jpg
    IMG_20200801_125255612~2.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 78

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

If I had a wireless cell cam I would do this.... interesting idea.... But I'd hate to enter her area that often to change cards and risk flushing her again or drawing any attention to the area....after several weeks I will try to observe to determine if she was successful.....nest I found last year appeared to have made it when I returned. Pictures attached are before and after of last year's nest.
Wish her luck for me and I'll waiting to hear how she done.

DoubleRidge

Returned to the field where the nest in original post was...... unfortunately it looked robbed to me.....pieces of shell scattered with one shell ten foot away.... completely different than the nest I followed up on last year which had all shells close together in the nest and they clearly appeared to have hatched.....but we have several hens around... So hopefully a few of the others were successful.

megalomaniac

Returned to the field where the nest in original post was...... unfortunately it looked robbed to me.....pieces of shell scattered with one shell ten foot away.... completely different than the nest I followed up on last year which had all shells close together in the nest and they clearly appeared to have hatched.....but we have several hens around... So hopefully a few of the others were successful.
Awww... hate to hear it. But that's what happens to 8 out of 10 nests in today's world. Start running traps! (Or better yet, trap before hens nest).

Time for TWRA to take the gloves off predators and allow trapping year round.