Turkey loads

Lost_dawg

Looking for suggestions on turkey loads. I've shot Heavy 13 3 inch for 12 gauge for years now and apparently you can't find them anywhere now. What works best for you?

I think hevi shot has quit making hevi13 so they can sell tss. I like the longbeards #6 shoot very well out of my M2 20 out to 40 yards and probably get it done at 50 yards I also jumped on the tss band wagon and have shot apex 9's and ninja 8.5 and federal 9's all good but with the price difference a man can make it just fine with longbeards. I also loved the hevi13 7's and hate they quit making them.

cm1021

Longbeard XR for 12ga. If you were shooting 20 i would say MAYBE look at TSS, but in 12 I don't think it justifies the TSS. I switched over to using a 20 about 3 years ago and have killed many birds with longbeard XR 5 and 6. This year im finally trying out TSS, just because of curiosity.

Again with the size if shell you're using in a 12, you really don't need the TSS as you can fit plenty of lead into a 3" shell.

cowhunter71

I can't believe you caved in to the yuppy crowd….. Next thing Cow-hunter will be labeling you a googan!!! LOL
Say it ain't so. The Captain has jumped ship. Just remember, no matter how much they tweak those 20's, they will NEVER "out perform" the "big stick" using the same load ;) Surely your man enough to tote around the extra 1.5lbs 😛

Setterman

Say it ain't so. The Captain has jumped ship. Just remember, no matter how much they tweak those 20's, they will NEVER "out perform" the "big stick" using the same load ;) Surely your man enough to tote around the extra 1.5lbs 😛
Haha, I'm shooting a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz TSS load. It's killing both turkeys and me with every trigger pull

TheLBLman

Haha, I'm shooting a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz TSS load. It's killing both turkeys and me with every trigger pull
;)
Actually, switch over to an Improved Cylinder choke,
and you would never miss a bird, maybe still have a deadly turkey gun 40-plus yards!
;)
If it weren't for the recoil being so horrible, this might be a great idea.
It is in fact my line of thinking while using TSS, i.e. you can use a more open choke, like factory "Modified" or factory "Full", benefiting from a larger diameter pattern.
This makes even more sense if you're hand-loading with TSS #9 1/2 or #10.

Latest posts