Turkey hunt

hbg1

My son and I are looking for somewhere to go hunt a few days come April. Been thinking about mo, ne, ks, but anywhere within 10-12 hours be fine. Private or public doesn't matter if we can just get on turkeys. Don't want to spend a fortune. Any advice or direction appreciated.

Cobb1

Anything you're looking for in particular?
In my experience, April may be a little early for Nebraska. They have an excellent population, and not saying you couldn't kill birds at that time. It just wouldn't be a typical sit down and call them in breathing fire type of hunt. April would be fine for Kansas or Missouri, the later the better.

hbg1

Anything you're looking for in particular?
In my experience, April may be a little early for Nebraska. They have an excellent population, and not saying you couldn't kill birds at that time. It just wouldn't be a typical sit down and call them in breathing fire type of hunt. April would be fine for Kansas or Missouri, the later the better.
When is best in to go to Nebraska

batten_down

From what I've seen public land hunting Osceolas is tough
Tough hunt no doubt about it. But highly rewarding if you're successful. Plus you can take some fishing gear and tangle with some big Florida largemouth. Here's a hunt The Hunting Public did last year in Florida. Give you an idea

megalomaniac

From what I've seen public land hunting Osceolas is tough
Don't do this with your son... its an exercise in self - flagellation. Very rewarding, but unless your son is a hardcore turkey hunter, or you get a coveted limited entry draw, it will be a miserable experience.

If you want to travel for turkeys, southwest Texas still has a good population of Rio Grandes... I'd get an outfitted hunt there for fun and bonding time with more opportunities.

Gobble4me757

I wouldn't go to Nebraska in April. Birds are not callable and flocked up. A lot of fun but more of a spot and stalk of the birds are on your property. If they aren't, you will not see a bird. Texas as above would be where I would go.

drake799

Find a guide in Texas or Nebraska book a hunt and go have fun. Don't roll the dice on public land A reputable guide service will/should have plenty of land and birds to hunt so you and your son will have. A memorable hunt.

spoon

I wouldn't go to Nebraska in April. Birds are not callable and flocked up. A lot of fun but more of a spot and stalk of the birds are on your property. If they aren't, you will not see a bird. Texas as above would be where I would go.
Been out there twice in April, they were very callable and not flocked up. Killed both times on the first day and by 10 am on public

Attachments

• 9122B945-9B59-4ABC-8937-485F54033B71.jpeg
    9122B945-9B59-4ABC-8937-485F54033B71.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DEC38992-891B-4112-938F-18B14AE0B25A.jpeg
    DEC38992-891B-4112-938F-18B14AE0B25A.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts