Turkey Gun

robin48

I intend to begin the long arduous task of learning to hunt Turkeys this spring. I need suggestions on a good Turkey gun without breaking the bank. I appreciate any help you guys can be.

drrxnupe

I just bought a Mossberg 935 Magnum 26" incher in black for the exact same reason. Set me back ~$450 brand new. So far it spits out 3" shells like a charm. I haven't tried any 2 3/4 or 3 1/2 inchers yet. I look forward to getting it in the woods.

robin48

I just ordered a Mossberg 500 in their Grand Slam Turkey Series. Couldn't pass up that 320.00 price.

buckdead

If you woulda shopped around a lil better you coulda done a lot better. Walmart, Academy, Bass Pro all those places you coulda gotten a 870 for right around $300 or under out the door. IMO the 870 is a much better made gun with a lot more aftermarket parts available, but whatever makes you happy.

robin48 said:
I bet. I am new to turkey hunting. What ammo do you guys recommend?

winchester extended range and environmetals hevi-13 are good shells.
tru-glo strut stopper xtreme is a good choke that works good with those shells

warpheagle

I bought a used Remington 870 3" mag with screw-in chokes about 20 yrs ago. I bought an extra full turkey choke and it works like a charm. You can spend alot more, but can't kill 'em any deader. :)

REN

it comes down to what you can afford/what you need it all for.

if the gun is just for turkey and you are ok with a pump them the 870 or the 835 are GREAT guns.

if you want open i up to autos then the mossberg 935 and the stoeger 2000 are awsome for the price! i got the stoeger last year and LOVE IT. you can find it with 2 barrels (one for turkey one for duck) as well as 2 stocks (pistol grip and field grip) for $400 which is a steal to me...

adamf5353

I strongly recommend the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I took two turkeys this spring and both over 50 yards with Winchester Supreme 3.5" Turkey Shot #5

Stoner

The only problem with shooting 3.5" shells in a pump is that you really have to rack the pump back further then you usually do and many times you will get the ejected shell hung up in the receiver screwing up the chance of a quick follow-up shot.

kyhunter

All the above will get the job done, but a "turkey gun" is not needed. You can take your squirrel gun you have now, use a good high powered 2 3/4" or 3" shell,(same as you use to hunt squirrels) then learn to call the big tom in and wait till he get within a 35-40 yard range before pulling the trigger and you'll do just fine.
Aim for the neck where the feathers start .

Latest posts