Food Plots Trying a new biomass seed blend

tellico4x4

Have a few new plots that we made last year from loading decks. Hit with ag lime as soon as they were cleaned up. Text my seed guy about doing me a mix & said he was in process of mixing of a big batch for another customer. It's got buckwheat, cow peas, forage beans, millet & BMR sorghum (cow conditioner). Had to Google the BMR and it's a hybrid from forage sorghum & Sudangrass . Sounded good to me so gonna give it a try.

bigtex

That sounds like a good mix.
I was planning on sowing Buckwheat and Cow peas in my Summer plots but I may add to the mix now.

wildlifefarmer

This past year drought got my 6 acres of clover fire breaks. Waited to see if anything grows and not much did. Will spray and plant s beans, cowpeas, buckwheat and sunflowers. I'm fall will sow mix clover n wheat.

tellico4x4

Here's what the final product looks like. Ditched the soybeans & added sun hemp. $35/acre

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_115826019.jpg
    IMG_20230518_115826019.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 52

JCDEERMAN

Here's what the final product looks like. Ditched the soybeans & added sun hemp. $35/acre
I really wish that place was closer. Probably wouldn't be too bad of a drive for me, but still. We drilled in a mix last weekend 5/13 of mostly soybeans, with a mix of buckwheat, sorghum and sunn hemp. Crimped it all Friday 5/19. We shall see

JCDEERMAN

Hey!
For the best crimp mat you can get add some hairy vetch to your fall seed blend!
That stuff will take the rye to the ground and mat like a good rug, plus it's a legume
Looking good by the way!
I've heard that was really good to add to a blend. Do you know what the preference level for deer/turkeys/or wildlife in general is?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I never see much evidence of browse on vetch. I have used it for its legume value for years always as a part of a blend but when we first started crimping crops I saw a patch of it had spread out in the rye and the was very pleased to see it mat so well even in the rye, it stayed matted very well. I just consider it a soil builder and keep its participation at a low rate like 5 to 8 lb per acre. I also like that it is a cool season species and does not have to be sprayed to control it in my summer planted crops

BSK

I never see much evidence of browse on vetch. I have used it for its legume value for years always as a part of a blend but when we first started crimping crops I saw a patch of it had spread out in the rye and the was very pleased to see it mat so well even in the rye, it stayed matted very well. I just consider it a soil builder and keep its participation at a low rate like 5 to 8 lb per acre. I also like that it is a cool season species and does not have to be sprayed to control it in my summer planted crops
This. I have planted Hairy Vetch a couple of times and saw no indication deer were eating it. But it can grow to be a big bushy plant! Lots of biomass to add to the soil.

BSK

Kind of like Sunn Hemp. I have video of deer eating the tops out of the plants when they are 2-3 feet tall, but the browse pressure was not significant. However, Sunn Hemp produces a massive amount of biomass for the soil. Just DON'T plan on tilling that plot for a couple of years! I would bushhog it or crimp it and then plant with a drill, and I would make sure I knocked down the Sunn Hemp in the exact same direction I planned on running the drill. The Sunn Hemp stalks are so stiff I'm not sure they would let a drill get into the ground if you tried to run the drill perpendicular to how the plants are lying.

Latest posts