Trouble running over/ hitting waypoints.

Iglow

I'm struggling bad going back over waypoints to toss a marker on them, I can't seem to hit them the first or even the fourth or fifth try, what am I doing wrong? Boat is a 16' grizzly with a tiller 40 hp motor. I've try different speeds but not much luck.

WTM

dont hit the "mark" button. it marks the position of the boat and not whats on sonar. touch the screen or move the cursor to the brushpile, then tap to set the waypoint. name it, label it etc and save.

zoom in on the map when going back over tge way point.

keep in mind that the mfd marks the waypoint the position of the mfd and not the transducer. sooo, mark behind the brushpile the approximate distance between the mfd and the transducer. if its a tiller boat this may not be but a couple of feet and may not matter.

running a si/2d combo screen may help to see how much you are off.

chimneyman

When your marking the brush piles are you sure your marking the brush piles or maybe your marking where your boat is on Garmin units you need to center cross hairs and hit the little tear drop marker on top right of your screen

TRHC

What units are you using? On HB units, move your curser over to whatever you saw and want to mark and then mark the waypoint. To navigate back and be really precise, move your curser to the marked waypoint, and it will tell you exactly how far you are from it. It will continuously change until you're on top of it. I assume the Garmin and Lowrance units work the same.

TNReb

In regards to hitting a waypoint that you marked...

If you are running only on your unit's internal antenna, that could be part of the issue. A separate heading sensor is best for getting your boat lined up exactly right.

I'm not familiar with a Garmin, but on a Lowrance and Humminbird one of the data overlays you can add is the course/heading/direction (I can't remember exactly what it's called). You can then click your waypoint, and it will tell you which heading to take to hit the waypoint exactly. I find it quite cumbersome, but I have seen guys do it well.

This assumes that your waypoint is in the right spot to begin with. WTM gave good info on that.

WTM

^^^^ menu/my vessel/heading line. once you set marker distance then turn on angle marker. i set my markers at 10 feet. that way three tick marks means i am 30ft from a brushpile. my min casting distance without spooking the larger fish, most of the time.

i might add that on side imaging the distance is not from the boat but the slant angle distance(hypotenuse) from the transducer.

Crow Terminator

I agree with the others. Chances are, you are marking stuff where the boat is instead of where the brush/cover is. Meaning when you go back to your way point dots...you are just going over top of where your boat was instead of where the brush pile was. You're probably only missing your stuff by a few yards. Once you get the hang of it, it's just second nature.

Iglow

I agree with the others. Chances are, you are marking stuff where the boat is instead of where the brush/cover is. Meaning when you go back to your way point dots...you are just going over top of where your boat was instead of where the brush pile was. You're probably only missing your stuff by a few yards. Once you get the hang of it, it's just second nature.
What I'm have trouble with is running back over the waypoint on the screen, I can see the tracks and the waypoint on the screen but I keep missing it.