trophy rock in a bag

Rockhound

SALTMAN said:
Rockhound , you have part of it correct, woodsman87 not so .
I don't know a lot about seed , but I do plant a lot. Take for instance eagle beans vs your run of the mill cheap ones at the coop. Eagle grows head high, ever see a regular ol bean do that . It produces much more tonnage per acre with much more nutrition.
Now I do know a lot about salt and minerals. You are correct about the Redmond number 10 fine. it does come from the same mine, so does road salt and table salt (realsalt). The number 10 is used primarily for agricultural purposes, mixed with feed or fed in an enclosed environment ie barrel or feeder.
If you put it on the ground it leeches into the dirt with each rain , getting further from the surface with each rain. Thats why you see deer digging the holes ! trying to get what little salt/minerals there is left ( and eating more dirt each time ). They are getting less benefit of the minerals each time also. The Trophyrock chunks last much longer and the deer licking on them get much more benefit of the 65 plus minerals with each visit.
picture yourself with a spoon of sugar, tastes good by itself, tastes good on your cereal, plus you are getting the benefit, ( if there is a benefit to sugar ), now dump it on the ground, pour some water on it, ie rain , then get you a spoonful, not only does it taste bad but you are getting less sugar !Next rain you get even less benefit, But you are digging a big hole that really looks good !
Now TR has a new ground product that sells somewhere between the number 10 and a TR (per pound ) It consists of small particles up to about marble size. It will dissolve faster than the TR but will last longer than the fine number 10 .It was brought out due to hunters request for it so they can mix their own mineral site. its good, cheaper but not the same as a TR chunk.
BTW , Lee , Tiff nor Michael are in any way paid or affiliated with TR. I know that for a fact, If they tell you its good its because they have tried it themselves . Didn't want this to sound like a commercial just to clarify.

I can't tell you about beans as I never plant them, with the literally thousands of acres of soybeans that are planted within a few miles of my hunting property in the summer one plot would not get messed with enough to justify. the seed mixes that are planted for winter plots contcontains about 90% wheat and oats which aren't going to be much difference, and the seed from most of those bags I get terrible germination. I know trophy rock will last longer as a Chuck, but of the 12 bags of Redmond's #10 I have poured out, it will take a good loonngg while before it dissolves into the ground. Part of my reason for starting the lick to begin with is to keep the deer coming back to a spot time and time again.

When I pour the bag stuff out, and it gets rained on it turns hard and doesn't dissolve fast. You could always pour it in a bucket wet the minerals until saturated and press them with weight overnight and get basically the same results as a rock.

There are ways to mirror it, and the 15.99/15# vs the $10/50#. There is no way I can justify the rock being any better.

Rockhound

SALTMAN said:
Rock you can do what you want and think the same, but you just said you poured out $120 in one spot ? Sounds like my wifes shopping logic ! lol good luck with it .

Where did I say I poured it all in one spot? I have 6 mineral sites running and I have only poured two bags this year.

Rockhound

I won't get into the slur throwing about how people think, if you wanna pay $1 per # of minerals go for it man. It doesn't take big machinery to make your own block out of the bag stuff if you would rather have the block and Redmond's sales a 50# compressed block of the same stuff. I dunno the price, but I'm sure its less than $16.

catman529

Heck I bought a 67 cent box of table salt and some molasses from Walmart and poured it on a log in my backyard and deer are hitting it almost every night. The most recent pic are 3 deer in the same spot eating salt off the log and the ground. Even though its already dissolved and soaked into the ground. A TR would be the longest lasting, the 10 lb Redmond would be the best for your money, and the cheap table salt would be the dirt cheapest just to get a few pics behind your house :D

Andy S.

Rockhound said:
I cab get 50# bags of table salt for $8 and it works! Lol
If you are looking for the most economical salt lick to run a camera over etc, I have heard of nothing cheaper than salt pellets (>99% salt) for a salt water swimming pool. They were $4.99 for 40lb bag at our local Lowes last year and I have seen them at our local Sam's club for $4.99 for the 50lb bag. I have never used them but I know several local guys who have and they claim the deer hit them good.

9afa1282.jpg

Living2Hunt

My deer activity at my sal licks are cut in half once rocks melt into ground. I have way better results in rock form! Deer get more for it. With that said, i always put a loose bag in the ground too, once a year. This would be great for that!

diamond hunter

I bought 80lbs of salt todayfor $9 at Home depot,thanks for the tip.Im keeping a trophy rock at that site also for a visual and the bag is for those who want to drink the water in the hole and eat the dirt.I only have one site over 240 acres but may expand to two with the new sources of salt.I think im going to put out cattle minerals in the same places to make mine a super lick.

Bone Collector

Rockhound said:
I won't get into the slur throwing about how people think, if you wanna pay $1 per # of minerals go for it man. It doesn't take big machinery to make your own block out of the bag stuff if you would rather have the block and Redmond's sales a 50# compressed block of the same stuff. I dunno the price, but I'm sure its less than $16.

does Co-Op sell the compressed block as well?

Bone Collector

Rockhound said:
When I pour the bag stuff out, and it gets rained on it turns hard and doesn't dissolve fast. You could always pour it in a bucket wet the minerals until saturated and press them with weight overnight and get basically the same results as a rock.

that has been my experience. i bought salt, trace,and Di-cal and mixed it. it cost me a lot more than this stuff, but I will say when the rain hits it it gets hard. I put it out a month or two ago and there are still big chunks there.

Rockhound

Bone Collector said:
Rockhound said:

does Co-Op sell the compressed block as well?

Im sure they do but I haven't ordered any to see

Rockhound

Bone Collector said:
Rockhound said:

that has been my experience. i bought salt, trace,and Di-cal and mixed it. it cost me a lot more than this stuff, but I will say when the rain hits it it gets hard. I put it out a month or two ago and there are still big chunks there.

If you pour it in a mound it will harden and last a long time.

BlountArrow

diamond hunter said:
...I think im going to put out cattle minerals in the same places to make mine a super lick.

Just read the label and make sure there is no Copper in it. I hear that is not good for the deer and various other animals.

Rubberduck270

142A184D-E991-4291-AEEB-F1D8932CEF7D-2224-00000235DC1871D0.jpg

I bought some of the Redmund trace minerals today and cut a 5 gal bucket in half to hold it. Worked pretty good. 1 half will hold half of a 50 lb bag of minerals. Thanks to Rockhound for saving me some $$.

Latest posts