trolling motor ??? river guys? Striper Hunter?

fishboy1

I want to trade or replace the foot controlled Minn kota on my boat for a tiller control. I have NEVER been able to get used to a foot control through 3 boats and 30 years. Getting older and less coordinated isn't helping.

Anyhow. Looks like I can get the Minnkota edge with 45 or 55lb thrust. Boat is a 17' aluminum jon boat style center console with a 60hp. The foot control I have on it now is a 45lb thrust ( I think ) and it moves it well on a fresh battery. It practically pushes a wake on 5 speed.

A buddy suggested looking into the 55lb thrust since I will be fishing more moving water, Caney Fork and below Cordell Hull Dam now that I moved. Trade off will be battery life.

Is 45lb thrust and a longer run time a better choice for fishing rivers than a faster more powerful motor with shorter run time??

turk870

first ive never been on the caney in a boat.
ive got a 14 ft jon boat with a jet motor,i have a 36lb thrust trolling motor and it is too small,with a fresh battery and on high i will still be going down stream.id go with atlest a 55lb thrust,and this was on duck river.

SES

I never use my trolling motor to go up current on the rivers I fish. I use them to keep my boat in proper position from the bank. My 42 pound thrust does me just fine on my 16' aluminum boat. I do have a tiller control though. Will never have a foot controlled one again.

SilverFox

I had a 75lb 24 volt on my 17 foot aluminum. I needed it from time to time in the French Broad river. For the most part it was too much and I kept it on low... But at times if not for the extra power I wouldn't have been fishing. The 24 volt would run all day without any problems. Moving water can wreck a 12 volt pretty easy if it's got any current to it at all on bigger aluminum boats.

If You are set against 24 volt I would get the 55 and run 2 batteries at 12 volt. Moving water is a different beast.

AllOutdoors

If you are fishing rivers, then I suggest you get the most thrust you can. Something in 24 volt would be ideal. If you are stuck on a 12 volt system, then get the highest thrust 12 volt you can.

shorefisherman

SES said:
I never use my trolling motor to go up current on the rivers I fish. I use them to keep my boat in proper position from the bank. My 42 pound thrust does me just fine on my 16' aluminum boat. I do have a tiller control though. Will never have a foot controlled one again.

i was on my buddys 16 ft alum boat the other day, and was three of us fishin. he told me to take control of the trolling motor that was foot controlled, but wasnt mounted...i ended up using it like a nintendo game controller with my hands :D

but on a swift river, tiller is the best...you gotta be quick on the draw at times...my 40lb thrust with a 12v battery will pull my 14 ft boat with a 20hp outboard up the caney to retreive a stuck lure no prob. on any gen.

Latest posts