Trimming your tag end?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One of my friends cuts his tag ends off RIGHT at the knot. I mean like zero sticking out at all.
I normally leave 1/4" to 1/2" inch.
I figure as long as it doesn't affect the bait, who cares?

How important is it to you?
Yes, just going nuts waiting on the weather to catch up with me in terms of fishing.

Pilchard

If the knot will be reeled through the guides like on a line-to-line connection, I trim as close as possible. If it's at the hook, I'll leave 1/8" or so. I also tie a type of loop knot where the tag end points back towards the end of the bait so the tag end doesn't catch on grass or other debris. If it sticks out sideways, or worse, points forward, it will be less weedless.

Last edited:

TNReb

I trim it short, but not right at the knot.

I have two main thoughts...

1. If the bass can't see the other 50ft of line hanging tied to the hook, they aren't going to see a tag either.

2. If my knot is slipping, I've probably already screwed up.

BuckWild

I leave a little tag. How many of you retie after every fish you catch?

I worked with a guy for years and we fished together a lot. If he caught a fish, even a bluegill, he would cut and retie the hook or lure...I'd catch twice as many fish as he would and never retie, but he still insisted on a retie after every catch. That next fish might be a monster, don't want the knot to fail. :D

Crazy but what ever...

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I leave a little tag. How many of you retie after every fish you catch?

I worked with a guy for years and we fished together a lot. If he caught a fish, even a bluegill, he would cut and retie the hook or lure...I'd catch twice as many fish as he would and never retie, but he still insisted on a retie after every catch. That next fish might be a monster, don't want the knot to fail. :D

Crazy but what ever...
When I am bream fishing I usually retie after about 20 fish or so.
EVERY time I get broke off I say, I KNEW I should have already retied.
Bass fishing I don't normally catch enough to worry about it. :D

WTM

There is something about the shape of my teeth that prevents me from biting line in two. Even when I still used a lot of fluoro I couldn't bite it. I can't bite open a package either. Always been jealous of folks that could do that.

yeah i bit some line off one time and it went straight down my throat. lol, about choked to death.

TNReb

Sometimes I leave the tag and cut the main line connecting to the lure. 😄

Otherwise I cut it almost at the knot.
So.. a couple of years ago me and a buddy went down to Guntersville for a few days. We fished with a guide the first day. It was tough fishing.

The guide said.. would you guys consider going to Wheeler tomorrow instead? I have a couple spots where we just destroyed them on a Bull Shad. He gave us the waypoints, and I had two Bull Shads with me.

We get up in the dark the next morning and make the hour and a half drive over to Wheeler. We get to the first spot and I hand my buddy one of my Bull Shads.

He tied it on.. snipped the line.. and tossed it out in the water.

Yep. He clipped the main line instead of the tag. There went my $50 Bull Shad.

7mm08

If the knot will be reeled through the guides like on a line-to-line connection, I trim as close as possible. If it's at the hook, I'll leave 1/8" or so. I also tie a type of loop knot where the tag end points back towards the end of the bait so the tag end doesn't catch on grass or other debris. If it sticks out sideways, or worse, points forward, it will be less weedless.
As in a Lefty Kreh knot?

Latest posts