Tree Stand Screeching Lube

Ski

Anybody ever lubricate their tree stands and/or ladders to keep them quiet? I think I might give it a go with some cold pressed walnut or pecan oil. I would think the odor should be non-alarming as walnuts & pecans are both native trees. Even if it doesn't work well to silent my stands, I can't imagine it could do any harm to try. Perhaps maybe it could encourage squirrel chewing. Noisy, screechy stands & ladders are something I mean to address in the off season and this was one idea. Just wondering if any of yall have tried anything similar???

Buzzard Breath

A lot of times, the stand develops a squeak because it gets torqued in an unnatural position as the tree grows. You may want to try unstrapping it, pushing it away from the tree, and letting it rest back again in a more natural position. I'd do this closer to season, as tree growing season is about to start.

themanpcl

Not sure if you are talking ladders, lock-on's, steps, climber's....Anyway, every season I take my stands apart, sand off rust and re-paint where needed, replace rusted hardware/cables etc. For the metal to metal areas where there might be noise, nylon washers have always worked to keep things quiet. You could utilize a milk jug (cleaned) and cut out pieces to use for washers if you don't want to purchase. The vegetable/mineral oil (new) is good for in season squeaks.

Ski

A lot of times, the stand develops a squeak because it gets torqued in an unnatural position as the tree grows. You may want to try unstrapping it, pushing it away from the tree, and letting it rest back again in a more natural position. I'd do this closer to season, as tree growing season is about to start.

I do that pretty often already. It's hang-on stands with tree step ladders. The ladders are the most noisy. They squeak/screech at the joints. I had thought about mineral oil but wasn't sure how it would hold due to being water soluble. I'll sure try it.

Ski

Not sure if you are talking ladders, lock-on's, steps, climber's....Anyway, every season I take my stands apart, sand off rust and re-paint where needed, replace rusted hardware/cables etc. For the metal to metal areas where there might be noise, nylon washers have always worked to keep things quiet. You could utilize a milk jug (cleaned) and cut out pieces to use for washers if you don't want to purchase. The vegetable/mineral oil (new) is good for in season squeaks.

They're hang on stands and they have plastic washers. One in particular has an annoying squeal almost any time I move, and I cannot figure out where it's coming from. It resonates through the entire stand though. I pull them down every year and clean, replace rusted components, and rehang with new straps. Most of the do just fine but this one stand in particular is a bugger. Otherwise it's more an issue with the ladder joints. Where the bottom half slides up into the top half is where I think maybe the noise comes from.

Dennis

I squirted spray foam into the joint where 2 ladder sections come together once. It makes a big globby mess but it did quiet it down

UCStandSitter

I use the synthetic gun oil stuff from Lucas for a whole host of things including stands, platforms, sticks, etc. never noticed any sort of smell and the deer never seem to notice either. Granted I take down my stands after the season for maintenance and clean/lube this time of year. Maybe the scent has dissipated by the time September rolls around. I've had the same tiny bottle with the needle applicator for about 4yrs. Can't tell I've ever used a drop by looking at it and it cost about 5 bucks. Works like a champ on squeaky cabinet doors as well!

Ski

I use the synthetic gun oil stuff from Lucas

Didn't even cross my mind. I'll check it out. Thanks!

It's a little messy but WD40 makes a white lithium grease spray that is awesome for these type applications.

I use it on my sawmill all the time for the slides. I'll give it a shot.

Last thing I have ever worried about once in the stand I just sat still.

Well thank you for such an enlightening post. Glad to hear you're a step above us mortals. Apparently you've never bow hunted.

KPH

Didn't even cross my mind. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I use it on my sawmill all the time for the slides. I'll give it a shot.

Well thank you for such an enlightening post. Glad to hear you're a step above us mortals. Apparently you've never bow hunted.
Yes I have do bow hunt and I believe there are a lot more important things to worry about. I am very glad to enlighten you. It must not take much to do so.

Ski

Yes I have do bow hunt and I believe there are a lot more important things to worry about. I am very glad to enlighten you. It must not take much to do so.

Unlike a lot of online forums, tndeer has largely proven to be a place where conversations about simple things can happen without trolls. Civil discourse can usually be expected. If you wish to argue how great of a hunter you are, how still you can sit, or what things are most important to worry about, then start your own thread. I don't care how much better you are at hunting. I don't care how witty you are. It doesn't matter. The information I requested referred specifically to lubrication for squeaky metal. If you have something productive to add then great. But for goodness sake please don't be the troll.

KPH

You have my apologies I didn't know I was a troll. I didn't know I was being uncivil. I didn't know I was putting it out there I was a great hunter. All I did was make a statement about squeaky stand and how it would be the last thing I would be concerned about. Again I will offer my apologies and hope you will for give me.

TNhunter

Anybody ever lubricate their tree stands and/or ladders to keep them quiet? I think I might give it a go with some cold pressed walnut or pecan oil. I would think the odor should be non-alarming as walnuts & pecans are both native trees. Even if it doesn't work well to silent my stands, I can't imagine it could do any harm to try. Perhaps maybe it could encourage squirrel chewing. Noisy, screechy stands & ladders are something I mean to address in the off season and this was one idea. Just wondering if any of yall have tried anything similar???
What kind of stand is it. If Summit call them and get them to exchange it.