Tree Stand Novice

UTGrad

I will be new to tree stands and will be getting a climber. What would be a good height to start out to get comfortable? What is a common height you guys go up to? Can I tie the foot platform to the seat platform to prevent the foot platform from completely falling out from under me.

Twitch

Once I'm up the tree I tie the top to the bottom. I usually get up to around 20'-25'. 15' would be a good startin point. And always wear a fall restraint system.

plinker22

All stands come with a string to tie the upper and lower together. However, many only have one string. I have replaced my one with two strings.

One string on each side prevents the stand from falling and landing crooked on the tree. Not a fun thing. Any small rope will work. Mine ropes allow about 40" between the upper and lower.

JeepKuntry

Definitely tie the top and bottom together. I'd hate to be up in a tree staring down at the bottom and seeing the bottom of my stand. As for stands itself, your best bet is a lighter weighted stand if your going to be walking any distance.

POSSUM HUNTER

when i was about 13 or so i dropped the bottom half about 15 feet luckily my dad had just came towards me becouse i had just shoot, i have never set my stand scince then with out tying them together, i use my pull up rope to tye them but i leave a little slack so i dont have any pressure on the rope and all the pressure of my weight is on the tree

UTGrad

I have never used a climber, but could I tie them together before climbing the tree loose enough that I can shimmy up the tree but tight enough that it wouldn't completely fall to the ground.

Radar

If you use a new summit viper , the sections are tethered together by clipping the carrying straps to the lower section . Every TMA certified stand manufacturer has a tether rope that comes with their climbing stands .

Gravey

My Summit Viper SS works exactly as Radar stated. The carrying strap is attached to the top piece when transporting it. There is a buckle clip on one end and you unhook it and rehook it to the bottom portion and take off. I had an API Grand Slam and I had a piece of rope tied on each side. Leave them long enough so you can climb with no problems. The idea is that if the bottom slid while you were in the tree that it wouldn't go to the ground. As for how high, that depends on where I'm at. Some places I can't get over 15' but if possible I like to be around 20'. The most important part is wear a fall restraint device of some kind.

LCU

Trash the straps that came with the stand and buy a Hunter Safety System,and hook up before leaving the ground.

Radar

LCU said:
Trash the straps that came with the stand and buy a Hunter Safety System,and hook up before leaving the ground.

We are referring to tether straps that tie the two sections together , to be used in conjunction with a safety harness system while climbing , descending , and at hunting height .
Trashing these straps that hold the stand together would be unsafe !

Read the link to better understand the carrying straps we are referring to :
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/cata ... mbined.pdf

Grizzly Johnson

Twitch said:
Once I'm up the tree I tie the top to the bottom. I usually get up to around 20'-25'. 15' would be a good startin point. And always wear a fall restraint system.

LCU said:
Trash the SAFETY straps that came with the stand and buy a Hunter Safety System,and hook up before leaving the ground.

Great advice there, I also practice what their preaching.....

JayMc

UTGrad - you might want to try a few friends' climbers before you buy. One of my buddies had never used one before and bought a very nice API. It was very comfy and stable. He would only climb about 8' before he got too scared to move. He ended up selling it and hunting out of ladder stands or from the ground.

You're welcome to try a couple of mine and I'm sure some of the others on here would offer the same.

LCU

UTgrad,
You are welcome to come to my house in Columbia and try my Ol Man aluminum climber,and try my HSS vest in my backyard.

This stand packs well,and I tweaked it a bit.
Added the Claw straps.
Ground the teeth a little.
Replaced the boot straps with metal bands.

I won't climb a 6' stepladder,but climb scary high with my climber and HSS.

Latest posts