Tree saddle questions, didnt want to hijack the other thread

hard county

Thanks to Godwin for asking about tree saddles, thanks to that thread I've been watching tree saddle videos all morning. My two favorite hobbies are hunting and rock climbing, how did I not look into this sooner? I became more aggravated at myself when I realized I have most of the stuff to put together a saddle (climbing harness, rope, paracord, 'biners,nylon ratchet straps, hangon stand hunting accessories) sitting around my house.

A few questions.

Will a dynamic rock-climbing rope work for the lineman's belt? I have a new Mammut 10.2 gravity classic that's pretty stiff for a climbing rope. It's 60m and I never climb that high so I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few feet.

I have a set of spikes my lineman brother gave me a few years back - I only hunt on private land and can judge whether a tree has timber value - easy to do around here since most of the places I hunt are full of hollow gum trees. Will the spikes for electric poles work on trees? I'm guessing I don't need to attempt a scaley bark or a pine but smoother thinner barks like gum, poplar, and maple seem like they could work?

I'm now looking into buying the sit-drag to sit in once I get up with the climbing harness. I also saw where a few guys made their own, My mom is an excellent sower and I like the idea of rigging up my own version of the sit-drag to my specs.

Answers to these questions and any general advice would be massively appreciated, thanks.

ImThere

Re: Tree saddle questions, didnt want to hijack the other th

hard county":3uuoslys said:
Thanks to Godwin for asking about tree saddles, thanks to that thread I've been watching tree saddle videos all morning. My two favorite hobbies are hunting and rock climbing, how did I not look into this sooner? I became more aggravated at myself when I realized I have most of the stuff to put together a saddle (climbing harness, rope, paracord, 'biners,nylon ratchet straps, hangon stand hunting accessories) sitting around my house.

A few questions.

Will a dynamic rock-climbing rope work for the lineman's belt? I have a new Mammut 10.2 gravity classic that's pretty stiff for a climbing rope. It's 60m and I never climb that high so I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few feet.

I have a set of spikes my lineman brother gave me a few years back - I only hunt on private land and can judge whether a tree has timber value - easy to do around here since most of the places I hunt are full of hollow gum trees. Will the spikes for electric poles work on trees? I'm guessing I don't need to attempt a scaley bark or a pine but smoother thinner barks like gum, poplar, and maple seem like they could work?

I'm now looking into buying the sit-drag to sit in once I get up with the climbing harness. I also saw where a few guys made their own, My mom is an excellent sower and I like the idea of rigging up my own version of the sit-drag to my specs.

Answers to these questions and any general advice would be massively appreciated, thanks.
Yes climbing rope will be perfect for a linesman.
Most guys use pole gaffs for saddle hunting.
Sit drags are awesome. Use it with your rock climbing harness and you golden.
Start out on the ground and dial in your set up and get comfortable.
Good luck and keep asking questions
Visit saddlehunter.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1983

I'm extremely new at all of this but have researched a ton over on saddlehunter.com. Most people are not using dynamic ropes for their lineman's belt and tether. You don't want or need the stretch. I have Sterling HTP and some Yale Bandit on they way. A lot of people are using Samson Predator. I'm sure the dynamic rope will work but it is not the go-to for the people that have really developed the method.

hard county

I had a thought to maybe use paracord to make a hammock-type woven seat, Have you ever seen anything similar? It would just be something the size of the sitdrag but woven the way a traditional hammock would be.

fairchaser

Three questions. One, is there a certain fitness level/age for tree saddle hunting? I'm a fit 62 year old but also thinking of the future when I might not be. Second, does the fact that our club prohibits the penetration of any tree with any spike or screw, discourage the use of a tree saddle? Does a a straight limbless tree work best for a tree saddle or is it just as easy with limbs?

ImThere

jd1983":1tnbpa28 said:
I'm extremely new at all of this but have researched a ton over on saddlehunter.com. Most people are not using dynamic ropes for their lineman's belt and tether. You don't want or need the stretch. I have Sterling HTP and some Yale Bandit on they way. A lot of people are using Samson Predator. I'm sure the dynamic rope will work but it is not the go-to for the people that have really developed the method.
he already has it and it should be fine. I believe it's about 50/50 on who uses what. I know most prefer static on their tether. I really not sure you would notice the difference.

ImThere

fairchaser":2jd3rkq9 said:
Three questions. One, is there a certain fitness level/age for tree saddle hunting? I'm a fit 62 year old but also thinking of the future when I might not be. Second, does the fact that our club prohibits the penetration of any tree with any spike or screw, discourage the use of a tree saddle? Does a a straight limbless tree work best for a tree saddle or is it just as easy with limbs?
John Eberhart, I believe he is around 62. I know quite a few are older than 62. I don't think it takes a certain fitness level as much as it take getting used to a saddle. I know many people are going to the saddle because of back issues.
As far as trees it doesn't matter. You can climb any tree you like with a set of sticks, wild edge steps or spikes. User preferences. I like trees with limbs myself
I think one of the guys is in his mid seventies hunting from a saddle.

ImThere

hard county":3hg8bwky said:
I had a thought to maybe use paracord to make a hammock-type woven seat, Have you ever seen anything similar? It would just be something the size of the sitdrag but woven the way a traditional hammock would be.
yes I've seen a few DIY woven saddles. I made one out of a basketball net. If you want to try something slick look up a fleece saddle I think DaveT1963 has a video and several other guys. Literally a piece of fleece a rope and tied like a hammock. Super slick set up and only a few bucks out of pocket.

ImThere

The most comfortable saddle is the Guidos web. He new one coming out is incredible! It's kinda of a saddle tree stand hybrid. The Mantis is more of a minimalist saddle which I hope to have very soon. I have a kestrel and a sitdrag.

ImThere

With any diy or sitdrag saddle please use your rock climbing harness

hard county

I'll definitely do that.
ImThere":xmdq5qwh said:
With any diy or sitdrag saddle please use your rock climbing harness

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk