Trap Drags

TN Song Dog

Anyone use drags? Any success or failure stories with them? A buddy has a few he made, and he runs a long chain on them. He normally finds a fence post, tree, or bush to hook on to. I've wondered how they would do in open pasture, though.

pass-thru

I use them on occasion. If I am going to use more than one trap at a set (rare, usually for greys), they go on drags as I don't believe in putting more than one trap on a critter. If I have put a lot of time into a set (cats) then I use a drag so the set won't be ruined with a catch. I use them rarely if there is a problem with staking a trap at the location due to ground conditions.

A yote could take a drag a long way in open pasture. You need a well made drag with lots of chain. I don't see any reason to use a drag in pasture...IMO. I would rather not worry about having to search for it.

I have used a lot of drags in rocky creeks when coon trapping. I used to cable the trap off to a 10-12' cut sapling. Then I had a 20# boar get in the current and go a couple hundred yards down stream. I found him, but almost didn't. Wasn't really even sure what had happened at first, thought it could be theft. Now in the those situations I use 2 prong drags and pretangle to brush on the bank.

Latest posts