Traditions Muzzleloader Kit

jakeway

I haven't seen that particular kit, but it looks a lot like the original (pre-buyout) CVA kits. Some of those kits were really good shooters, as was my CVA Mountain Rifle. It was a lot of fun to put together and shoot.

But as a pure hunting rifle, it has its limitations. Some of these kits had rifling that was too shallow for good patched ball performance, yet too slow a twist for good conical performance. Decide what you want to use it for, and go for it if it sounds like fun.

jakeway

Hey Renegade, that's sure a sweet looking pistol. Nice job on the bluing!

I learned a trick from a rifle builder up North back in the 70s. He was really into authentic-looking rifles. Anyway, we sand-blast all the steel with very fine sand, which covers all the sanding and filing marks. It saves tons of time on preparing the metal. Then we use a product called Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown. (I don't know it that's still available.) You put the solution all over the metal, then stand it up in the shower stall after you get it nice and steamy. ABout an hour later the barrel is covered in rust. Rub it down gently with very fine steel wool, then repeat the process. After three or four coats, you're done. Coat the barrel (and locks, trigger guards, etc) with gun wax and you're good to go.

It results in a smooth antique patina finish that won't show any fingerprints. A lot like modern Matte Black finishes.

I don't have a good pic of the gun itself, but this gives you somewhat of an idea.

Me_and_ML_Buck_2006.JPG

Best_ML_to_Date1.JPG

Francis

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the midsouth shooter supply web site, and they have the Deerhunter precussion rifle, assembled with a syn stock for 148. That price makes it hard to buy a kit.
I wanted to build one but I was going to try something different by making the stock gloss black, with a lot of clear coats to give it depth. Thought it might look different.

jakeway

Yes, putting together a kit rifle is a lot of fun. I did my first one while in college, on the kitchen table in our small apartment. The only tools I used was a screw driver, a hand drill, a couple files, and exacto knife, sandpaper and steel wool. By the fourth rifle I built, I was buying the components individually and putting it together based on how I thought it should go. A Dremel and a drill press help a lot, but if you take your time you can do the whole thing with a few tools.