too late for soybeans????

DeerSlayer

I just talked to a local seed supply store and was asking for prices on certain items. He said he thought I could actually plant soybeans this late in the year and still get them up enough to attract deer for bow season. He did say however that they would die at the first frost. He said he had Cobb Soybeans for 18.50 a bag. I recall last year hunting in 70 degree temps in November, so isn't it possible that these crops might still be around come November unless we have really cold weather?

Any thoughts? Sounds crazy I know, but with 100 degree temps still around and the occasional shower, I wonder if it might work. I am sure this mix wouldn't do a darn thing for the deer after the cold season sets in.

Winchester

We planted an acre of Soybeans about 2 weeks ago, rained all night the day we planted them, after 10 days they were 4 inches high with leaves as large as a quarter already. I think they will be fine as long as we get some more rain????

tnbassman

My beans went in 07/21/07 and are doing fine. Its has rained about 8 of the 18 days since planting so that has helped a bunch.

Try some red ripper cowpeas. You can get them at Greenes. We put them out last year at a farm not 2 miles from mine and when they decided to eat them 2 acres disapeared in about a week. Walked through lab lab and beans to get to them.

Winchester

We have had really good luck with Sorghum in KY. Have you guys killed any big deer down there?? Heart has got the property doesnt he?

tnbassman

He's got a couple hundred acres and Ive got 16 not two miles from him. My property is gonna be hard to hunt cause its all field. Seeing as how "The Fence" is only 3 or 4 hundred yards away I might can pull some off of it.

Soybean Man

Soybeans are always attractive for deer as long as they are green. Mature soybeans are usually attractive later in the winter when food is scarce and the temps. drop. Plant them thick, so they get some height. Soybean planted this late wants to flower soon after emergence.

deerchaser007

deerslayer,.. soybeans are awesome. BUT,.. you will need at least 2 acres to plant them in. They do not tolerate early grazing and are easily wiped out before they get started if planted in areas that are to small. Plus,.. they will not tolerate a low ph either..

Latest posts