Too early for estrous?

airdawg11

I know the does are not in heat for probably another two weeks, but the bucks are ready and are chasing and checking every doe. I wonder if using estrous right now would do more harm than good. I imagine it may spook does but I also imagine any buck that smells it would come in and get fired up. Whats everyones thoughts?

156p&y

I don't think you'll hurt anything. I shot a mature buck with a doe here in middle TN. She was in estrus for sure, she wouldn't leave the buck after he went down.

travle

i had estrus out monday morning when i was hunting. i seen several bucks chasing and several does. I had one doe 10 feet from my drag ling i had on a limb, and several cross down wind of it. they paid it no mind, and neither did the bucks.

TboneD

Except for in the deep south, November means there's a doe in heat SOMEWHERE. So I doubt that doe in heat scents will hurt anything unless it makes you leave too much of your own scent in the process.

Mike D

Does are going into heat now and do so every month. It is when the bucks are primed that the "rut" makes notice.

Most mature bucks are making selections now but most are doing so at night.

I would use it sparingly and I would put it into a scrape or on a scrape line and hunt within the 1 or 2 days following.

BSK

airdawg11 said:
I know the does are not in heat for probably another two weeks...

Depending on where you are in TN, you will find a few does coming into heat anytime after about Oct. 20. Even in a tightly timed rut area, it takes 5-6 for all of the does to come into estrus.

Hunt 365

Mike D said:
Does are going into heat now and do so every month. It is when the bucks are primed that the "rut" makes notice.....
I don't think does go into heat, or estrous every month. But I do think you'll find hot does now until January

BSK

Hunt 365 said:
Mike D said:
Does are going into heat now and do so every month. It is when the bucks are primed that the "rut" makes notice.....
I don't think does go into heat, or estrous every month. But I do think you'll find hot does now until January

Breedings have been documented in almost every month of the year. These "way off from normal" breedings are rare, but they occur.

Latest posts