Tomorrow's Menu

bowriter

R.I.P.
My wife cooks Thanksgiving and Christmas, New Year is mine.

Standing rib roast-medium rare, au jus. Just got through putting the dry rub on it.
Blakeyed peas with ham hocks. I love them.
grilled asparagus in butter and parmesian cheese-my own recipe. Do them on a table top, indoor grill.
crab stuffed, twice baked potatoes. Make your tongue slap your brains out.
deep dish blueberry pie with ice cream-wife will fix that.
cathead biscuits from scratch.

Sad thing is, I can't eat a bite of it.

Why have I never visited this forum before?

bowriter

R.I.P.
Kinda hard to find good fresh asparagus. I had my grocer order me some. Expensive, too. Hard to beat good, fresh asp. if you grill it right. Too many people boil it.

Yuck!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Just got my meat out of the fridge, letting it come to room temp. Dang that is a good looking piece of meat. Looks so good it is almost a shame to cook it.

In a little bit, I will make a Hollandaise sauce which I will turn into a Bernaise sauce and make some eggs Benedict for breakfast. The kids will dribe a hundred miles for my eggs b.

Can't eat that, either. Kinda wondering if I can get a bloody Mary down? :)

Perhaps you've noticed from all the typos, I'm having a little trouble with my right hand coordination to day. Hopefully it will go away later. Hard to seperate egg whites and yolks when you hand doesn't work. :)

green doe

bowriter said:
Why have I never visited this forum before?
I've wondered the same thing, bowriter. I thought maybe it was 'cause you didn't want to mingle with amateurs. ;) But TennesseeRains posts every once in a while so if he can, so can you! :D

bowriter

R.I.P.
Truth is Greenie, I'm not sure I even knew about this forum. I don't pay as much attention as people think I do. As for mingling with amateurs, I'm an amateur. The last commercial job I did was two summers. I fed 350. Since then I have turned down a lot of work. Now I'm back to cooking for the fun of it.

Here is the sad part. My sense of taste is almost gone. How in heck can you cook if can't taste as you go? With my sous chef sick, it just isn't the same.

But boy! You should have seen my eggs Benedict this morning.

green doe

bowriter said:
Here is the sad part. My sense of taste is almost gone. How in heck can you cook if can't taste as you go?
You gotta go Zen. Be one with the bouillabaisse. ;)

Sorry about your sous chef.

BigAl

I know u dont really have recipes, but I'd love to hear more about those crab stuffed, twice baked taters. I assume you baked the potatoes, scoop out the insides, then mix some stuff in and add it back to the shells and bake. Just curious what all you add to it.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Right. First bake the tater to just not quite soft. Slice in half lengthwise. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to remove most of the insides (save that for potatoe pancakes) Then blend pre-cooked crab meat, (just boil it), fine chopped with onion and butter and grated cheese of your choice. I like a real sharp cheddar. Use claw meat if you can get it. You can also use shrimp or about anything you want. Stuff the potatoe and return to oven until the cheese is well melted. Top dress with a high quality sour cream if you like it. Serve steaming hot. Do not season. Let each individual do that.

If you want to get really fancy, use lobster and do it the same way.

Potatoe pancakes-regular at our house. I normally use left over mashed poatatoes. Make sure they are well cooled, maybe even alomost frozen. Shape into a patty and brush with butter and season the heck out of them. Place on a hot griddle with just a splash of oil. Fry turning just one time. Remember, they are already cooked, all you are doing is browning the outside. A tad of cream gravey sure goes good with them.