Tomatoes ?

Efhutton

I know this is a cooking forum but I thought this would be OK to post here. Just wondering what variety of tomatoes do you guys like to grow.

basset

mostly Bradleys, Romas for canning, German Pink for slicing. occasionally a cherry, yellow, or some other variety just to have something different.

tnfirefighter

I grew mortgage lifters last year, was very disappointed in the way they got big when green and just split when started turning ripe, I like golden boys and better boys the most

catman529

Off the top of my head I have grown

Brandywine (Sudduth strain)
Aunt Gerties Gold
Sungold
Neves Azorean Red
Caspian Pink
White Wonder
Black Plum
Black Krim
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
Opalka

I might have missed a couple but I've grown those varieties over the past 3 years from seed, I start the seeds every late February under fluorescent lights. Also grow other stuff like cukes, winter squash, cantaloupe (to die for), beans, sunflowers, etc...whatever the heck I feel like growing, I always grow something new every year.

Oh and I must not forget the peppers. Bells and super hots. Habaneros, Black Pearl, Bhut Jolokia, Cayenne...will grow new varieties next year most likely.

catman529

I think I beat you all so far :D but some of you grow some nice varieties, either from my experience of from what I've heard. I've only tasted bradleys, not grown them, but they're definitely worth growing if I remember to get some seeds.

catman529

yeah you either watered too much or got unlucky heavy rain.

This summer I watered a little in the early summer, but not too much, it's amazing if you don't water much their roots will grow a LOT deeper and then through July, August, and September I did little if any watering at all (I don't remember watering them during the heat of the summer) and they did very well. If you water a lot when they're younger, they never learn to grow a good root system because all the water is always right there. Give them dryer earth and they will go deeper to find water, it pays off. Much less maintenance and less split fruit.

Kimber45

shoota280 said:
I know this is a cooking forum but I thought this would be OK to post here. Just wondering what variety of tomatoes do you guys like to grow.

Shoota - You will have to get permission to have a garden out in that rich neighborhood you live in! They'll be havin a council meeting and puttin you outta there if you starting plowin that high dollar grass :D

vabuckbuster

catman529 said:
Off the top of my head I have grown

Brandywine (Sudduth strain)
Aunt Gerties Gold
Sungold
Neves Azorean Red
Caspian Pink
White Wonder
Black Plum
Black Krim
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
Opalka

I might have missed a couple but I've grown those varieties over the past 3 years from seed, I start the seeds every late February under fluorescent lights. Also grow other stuff like cukes, winter squash, cantaloupe (to die for), beans, sunflowers, etc...whatever the heck I feel like growing, I always grow something new every year.

Oh and I must not forget the peppers. Bells and super hots. Habaneros, Black Pearl, Bhut Jolokia, Cayenne...will grow new varieties next year most likely.

Brandywines are the best I think. I think they are an old heirloom.

Latest posts