Tom Turpin

Iglow

Have y'all read his little booklet? The real one, not the reprint by Penn's Woods. It seems in those 76 odd pages he gives you everything you need to know to get started,then it's just woodstime and experience with different stuations. I read it every year and he was so right about everything he included in the book including the trumpet yelper. I got one from the Turpins in 2006 and after a bunch of trying I've got to where I can use it. It can make all the calls, spring and fall, you don't need 2 hands to work it,it's waterproof and not the least bit fragile like most calls. It yelps more like a turkey than any call with maybe the exception of a mouth call and kee kees better.( plus you don't have to store it in the refrigerator) I've tried to make some following his instructions over the years out of cane/wingbones and cane/ other mouthpiece but could never get consistent with the wingbone mouthpiece and the others sounded kinda hollow, like jake yelping. The cocobolo one I got has a "bright" rasp sound to it and the only one I ever made that was like that was one I made from bodock with a brass mouthpiece. Here's some vids of Zack Farmer etc. They know what they are doing.

Latest posts