Today on OH

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
That's some good shooting in that wind. I drove down to Cairo boat ramp early. That wind was whipping and the water was rough. Changed my mind about trying to sauger fish this afternoon.

Levee Jumper

Friends with a couple of blinds on Old Hickory have killed 47 so far today (8 hunters).
I'm from and hunt in NW Tennessee but reside near Old Hickory. Out of curiosity, what does a good duck hunt look like in middle Tennessee? Minus the bread eaters that stay here year around, what does an 8 man limit look like?

I assume the conditions have to be right but are people killing limits of mallards, gadwalls, wigeon, and pintails like back west?

WilcoKen

I'm from and hunt in NW Tennessee but reside near Old Hickory. Out of curiosity, what does a good duck hunt look like in middle Tennessee? Minus the bread eaters that stay here year around, what does an 8 man limit look like?

I assume the conditions have to be right but are people killing limits of mallards, gadwalls, wigeon, and pintails like back west?
I always kid my buddys that hunt lower unit that they are killing dock ducks. It's hard for me to hunt ducks down on unit 2 with all the houses. Reminds me a little of Seek One with suburban deer hunting. But I guess a duck is a duck.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I always kid my buddys that hunt lower unit that they are killing dock ducks. It's hard for me to hunt ducks down on unit 2 with all the houses. Reminds me a little of Seek One with suburban deer hunting. But I guess a duck is a duck.
The lower unit can be a lot of fun when the weather gets right. I love it when the divers hit the big water. Everyone always want the mallards. I would rather have a good diver hunt any day.

scn

I don't know what the breakdown was today. They have been killing teal, woodies, mallards, gadwalls, and some divers. Usually pintails are rare.

WilcoKen

The lower unit can be a lot of fun when the weather gets right. I love it when the divers hit the big water. Everyone always want the mallards. I would rather have a good diver hunt any day.
It's funny the differences between hunter's preferences. My son's buddy loves divers and I will pass on them most days. A couple years ago we drew a good blind on upper unit but corn didnt make that year. So we basically had a blind in the middle of a glass water lake. All we killed was divers that year. I quit hunting it after 3 weeks. I love killing mallards, pintails and gadwalls.

GUNNERX2

Wigeon and pintails are few and far between in middle TN but there are some. We are not on Old Hickory but we've been killing GWT, mallards, gadwall, woodies (earlier in the season) and the spooinies showed up last Wednesday. There was one pintail flying with a mixed bunch of ducks that my son said was an absolute stud but as the bunch were getting lined up to come into the hole another blind shot at something and the bunch flaired off.

Smashdn

Good to hear OH is killing a few. When we had on our blind down by the dam it was mostly divers and mostly buffleheads to boot. Not really my cup of tea. I didn't mind having the big flocks of bluebills and redheads the handful of days they were around. We killed mallards and a black duck (probably not a bread fed or dock black duck) and some teal too. Weren't near houses. The unit 1 blind I like to hunt is nearer houses than any of the unit 2 blinds I've hunted.

Anywhere down there, either unit, I would rather be in a worse off blind and be way off by itself than be in a better blind but be within 300 yards of another blind.

Last edited:

Latest posts