To guide or not to guide. This is gray??

JDUB

1615082034297.jpeg

But this is what will happen at every. single. WMA. Sit back and watch.

JDUB

Maybe TWRA should offer this service for a fee to offset those 27,000 dollar duck blinds LOL. I thought one of the main talking points for this was prohibiting the selling of blinds. Is guiding out of them better?

Buzzard Breath

Then why not just go with the guide to their blind?
It's pretty vague, but it doesn't read like its a fully guided hunt. It reads like he's offering a place to stay, breakfast, dinner, and a decoy spread. It's up to the hunters to do all the calling and in blind activities. He doesn't list a price, but I'd imagine it's cheaper than a fully guided hunt.

Like I said in my first post, it's not my thing, but for someone coming from across the state or someone who's just getting started in duck hunting, it would be a good opportunity.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm more of a DIY guy myself, but for someone who doesn't want to deal with all the work, this could be a great option.
The bigger benefit is you get someone that knows how to get to whatever blind it is, so you aren't worrying about finding the spot, and getting the right boat trails and ditches to get there.

drake799

I think I seen him in another post say they could have someone with you to get you to the blind He may have edited it and taken that out But I'm 99% sure I seen that. Just goes to show you that no matter what the system is. Someone is goin to work it Lol

JDUB

Nothing more than a "modified" guided hunt. Don't use your own decoys. Don't eat your own food. Don't use use your own boat in some cases. But hey, since the vote went the way it did, I say work that system too! More opportunities all the way around.

Crosshairy

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of duck hunters don't own that many decoys and/or have the means to put them all out in a practiced fashion, so that in itself has some real value. I think between me and my 3 hunting buddies we probably have 250 tops (we don't have a fixed blind to hunt).

I personally don't think I'd ever be willing to put in for one of the draw spots that I didn't think I could navigate via GPS. The only exception would be if I thought I could line up a service like that, was OK with the price, and didn't think I had another option that would allow me to avoid being dependent on someone.

THE DUKE

Go ahead make $ while you can. There's no difference in someone selling a blind and making $;vs guiding out of a blind and making $ besides the guide fee license. The commissioner's have no common sense anymore.

scn

Go ahead make $ while you can. There's no difference in someone selling a blind and making $;vs guiding out of a blind and making $ besides the guide fee license. The commissioner's have no common sense anymore.
There is one MAJOR difference.

One is illegal and has been for a long time. The other is not.

I love how folks on here pick and choose between the laws they want to abide by. If they don't like the law, it seems like it is great to disregard it.

THE DUKE

Understand that have for a long time, I have always followed the rules. Forget the legal side you honestly tell me what the difference in selling a blind or guiding out of a blind is? There both making money, don't say one is legal and the other is not already know that. We've been trying to talk to twra for yrs on oh about how and when to plant, they don't listen do it there way and same results every yr piss poor results. They have seen it for 5yrs we have seen for it 25yrs. No different than baiting with corn or growing corn, one is illegal and the other is not both have the same results if u have enough common sense to see that.

JDUB

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of duck hunters don't own that many decoys and/or have the means to put them all out in a practiced fashion, so that in itself has some real value. I think between me and my 3 hunting buddies we probably have 250 tops (we don't have a fixed blind to hunt).

I personally don't think I'd ever be willing to put in for one of the draw spots that I didn't think I could navigate via GPS. The only exception would be if I thought I could line up a service like that, was OK with the price, and didn't think I had another option that would allow me to avoid being dependent on someone.
I'll rent you some decoys...or if you don't pay for it maybe you should not hunt where 2-300 decoys are needed. But hey with more opportunities you can bring your 3 dozen and see how that works for you. Not trying to be rude It is what it is. And now you got what you got

JDUB

Hire a guide then. Pretty simple.

Headhunter

There is one MAJOR difference.

One is illegal and has been for a long time. The other is not.

I love how folks on here pick and choose between the laws they want to abide by. If they don't like the law, it seems like it is great to disregard it.
Right and wrong. This is insane, it is illegal to sell a blind, but it is not illegal for a few rich people to change the law.

They don't even know how it will work.

Love how the TWRA is always broke, needs to raise license prices, but now they have over 1 million dollars, 1 million dollars of hunters and fishermen's money, to blow on building and "maintaining" duck blinds. Duck blinds that will most likely be crap in a couple years and under used.

This is as bad as the proverbial $10,000 dollar hammers the political idiots in DC "buy".

The commissioners even stated they will not and do not even listen to the hunters, they defer to the area managers, watch the meeting. I am sure the area managers most likely do their job, but no way do the area managers know the details of what areas are best for ducks as well as the hunters who HUNT the area.

The TWRA is going to police all the changes? Really? One of the guys at the wildlife division, Jamie F. told me they do not even know how the new proposals will be enforced. He said maybe the area managers will have to perform game warden duties. If this wasn't so sad, it would be a joke.

Maybe the saddest time in the entire history of the TWRA.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Right and wrong. This is insane, it is illegal to sell a blind, but it is not illegal for a few rich people to change the law.

They don't even know how it will work.

Love how the TWRA is always broke, needs to raise license prices, but now they have over 1 million dollars, 1 million dollars of hunters and fishermen's money, to blow on building and "maintaining" duck blinds. Duck blinds that will most likely be crap in a couple years and under used.

This is as bad as the proverbial $10,000 dollar hammers the political idiots in DC "buy".

The commissioners even stated they will not and do not even listen to the hunters, they defer to the area managers, watch the meeting. I am sure the area managers most likely do their job, but no way do the area managers know the details of what areas are best for ducks as well as the hunters who HUNT the area.

The TWRA is going to police all the changes? Really? One of the guys at the wildlife division, Jamie F. told me they do not even know how the new proposals will be enforced. He said maybe the area managers will have to perform game warden duties. If this wasn't so sad, it would be a joke.

Maybe the saddest time in the entire history of the TWRA.
3/4ths of the $1.3M is recoverable from Pittman-Robertson funds. but still that will leave a bit over 300k that TWRA has to come up with. But still, it is money that could have been used to improve the WMAs somewhat, trimming boat lanes out, leveling some field areas, cutting out a few new holes for additional hunt locations, and other things.

Smashdn

Now that it is computer draw you should put in for reelfoot. Get drawn and guide on the weekends to pay for your travel. Get a big blind that holds ten or so folks and sell spots for 150-200 a gun. Pays for itself quick that way.

Who cares if you don't have happy sports, you are only going to do this for one season. Save your vacation days.

Gps and mark a trail to follow. Buy a bunch of decoys, use them one season and sell them rigged at the end.

Twra is basically enabling you to guide.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Anyone see people at other WMAs doing this for Tier II spots? (Obviously none of the Reelfoot blinds are Tier II, so the guy in the OP's screenshot is catering to people who draw season-long blinds.

drake799

Honestly some of the wmas are gonna need people doing this lol. I'm thinking gonna be a lot of people trying to hunt blinds they've never seen before this year or heck even set foot on

Latest posts