TN Title Laws

Arch-N

I have an issue with a UTV. Guy says in KY you did not have to title ATV's or UTV's until 2013. Can I get a title issued with just a bill of sale?

mike243

that would be a ? only your county court house could answer, every 1 sold comes with 1 when new. I did register a 3 wheeler 15 years ago with only a bill of sale but a lot has changed since. On boats they go with blue book prices if you low ball your stated price here in Anderson county

laserman

Yea you can get a title. You will then have to pay taxes on the purchase. Most states don't title atvs but Tn classifies them as street motorcycles. That's why a lot of people come to Tn to but their atv or utv. No sales tax unless they title them. No sales tax unless you title it in Tn. Only place you would need registration is if you ride in some orv parks. Bill of sale will work if selling atv to someone else.

Snowwolfe

I am moving to TN next year after our house is finished and bringing my ATV with me. Its never been registered anywhere and I bought it 2 years ago in Washington state.
What do I need to register it in TN? Do I have to pay sales tax?

BlackBelt

TN has 4 laws concerning atv's.
One of those laws: TN requires that all atv's be titled to the owner and that owner will be issued an identification device (sticker) which is required to be displayed on the atv.

I found this out the hard way when I was pulled over by a deputy while carrying my atv in the back of my truck during hunting season. He asked to see my title since I didnt have a sticker displayed on my atv. I had the bill of sale but no title. I bought my atv used and the guy I bought it from had since died. I contacted the county clerks office about getting a title and they couldn't help me since the person it was last titled to was deceased with no living heirs.

LanceS4803

BlackBelt, I have never heard this. I bought my ATV used and went shop where it was originally sold to get a copy of the title and they said it didn't have to be titled. Giles County Court Clerk said it didn't have to be titled, only need a Bill of Sale.
I carry neither when I transport it.

Do you have a TCA reference that I can look up?

muddyboots

I think black belt is correct. They must have that sticker. We used to ride a lot with friends in a state area to ride and when checked if you didn't have the sticker u had problems. If u always rod on your own land I doubt u would ever have problems.

TN Whitetail Freak

TCA 55-3-101

(c) (1) Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, off-highway motor vehicles purchased after June 1, 1983, shall be subject to the certificate of title and special identification device provisions of this chapter and § 55-6-101, when the off-highway motor vehicles are operated on lands, other than a highway, in this state.

BlackBelt

Just a quick update--I bought a new off-road mini-bike a month ago and went to the Shelby County Clerks office to register it and get it titled. I had to have the receipt for it showing tax paid as well as the MSO (manufacturers statement of origin). They filled out the proper form, kept the receipt and the MSO, and collected $13 from me. They gave me a sticker a little larger than an auto license plate sticker that says 'TDR' on it and then has a 6 or 7 digit number under that. TDR stands for Tennessee Department of Revenue. This is the sticker that is required on all off-road motor/mini bikes, atv's, utv's and other off road vehicles.
A week or so after that I received an actual title in the mail.

Latest posts