TN Quota hunts

Buzzard Breath

I could be missing something, but they look like the regular hunts to me.

The Yuchi hunt was one of the best in East TN, but they took that away by making it antlerless only or earn a buck. I think they could control the doe population better by making it earn a buck, but opening it during archery season so if you drew the gun/mz tag, you could go early and shoot your doe and get that out of the way. But, I hadn't thought of that until after the comment period when they changed it last year, so I can't really complain.

Hduke86

The Yuchi hunt was one of the best in East TN, but they took that away by making it antlerless only or earn a buck. I think they could control the doe population better by making it earn a buck, but opening it during archery season so if you drew the gun/mz tag, you could go early and shoot your doe and get that out of the way. But, I hadn't thought of that until after the comment period when they changed it last year, so I can't really complain.
I saw the change coming with so many does but the lack of taking any. I would love it if they went with what you said about coming in during bow season to fill the doe tag or make it a quota of say 75 does during bow season or some set number and when that quota was filled then they close it til muzzle hunt or rifle

TN G.O.A.T Hunter

I guess what I was asking, is what are peoples thoughts about the different areas. Which hunts you saw alot of deer, etc

Buzzard Breath

Yuchi was what I built points for until they decided to wipe it out with earn a buck. Just not a great option in TN anymore. Look to the South for better options.
IMO, it drew some of the point holders away from PI. Now that they've done away with it, PI is the only hunt to be saving points for and will only be that much harder to draw in the future.

Buzzard Breath

What about Laurel Hill or Willamsport
Completely different hunts and are managed differently by TWRA. LH has antler restrictions and minimal doe harvest. Williamsport is a free for all.

Williamsport has easy access and you can get about anywhere on the WMA with a short walk. Hard to get away from other hunters. Although the boundary road was in pretty bad shape earlier this year, so I don't know if you can get around it as easily as you used to.

Laurel Hill is larger and reminds me a lot of Catoosa. There are places you can hike in and get away from people, but at the same time, you may hike in and think you're a long ways from an access only to have hiked into an area that is right next to another road.

Buzzard Breath

The nice thing is that the quota apps aren't due for another month. There's still plenty of time to put some boots on the ground and figure out what WMA will give you the experience you're looking for.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled

I made that comment before it passed, even called a commissioner, but it fell in deaf ears

JeepKuntry

Knowing Oak Ridge they will cancel again. I rolled the dice there as I don't have the time to really invest in traveling and learning a new area this year.

Latest posts