TN/Pitt afterthoughts!

PalsPal

We had my 2 yr old and 9 mo old grandsons during the 2nd half of the game, and it was a good thing for me as they kept my blood pressure down.

Have to give props to the defensive coaches. They won this game.

Offense missed too many opportunities, but made plays when they had to. I do love our WRs. Just put the ball where they have a chance, and they're going to make a play most of the time.

Special teams needs a lot of work.

Concerning the refs, I don't remember a game where so many flags were waived off. But, it helped us as I think most would have been against us.

THEdonkey0515

Turnovers hurt muffed punt/lost fumble....Tennessee puts the game away before OT with out those.

Defense struggled early did decent after the half. Offense started slow alot more QB draws then we are use to. Alot of short sideline passes with a couple deep shot to Tillman.

Good pressure on the QBs all game. 51 yards FG to give UT 7 point lead Cluch. Overtime TD was nice.

Seemed like the refs had to review every other play.

UT got the win on the road against a decent team. This is the type of game UT would have lost over the last 10 years.

THEdonkey0515

I wasn't real happy with the way they played, but look at all the upsets and close games yesterday.

ND vs Marshall...
A&M vs App st
Texas Vs Bama
KY vs UF
Washington State vs Wisconsin
Houston vs Texas Tech

At the end of the day UT beat a decent team on the road... yeah it was close and ugly, but so was 85% of the games on yesterday. I think some are overreacting a little maybe it's the few that had UT Winning 10+ games. I had this team at 8-4 and they are right on pace to do so.

Last edited:

Grandslam11

Ugly Win > Pretty Loss

Hooker didn't seem himself. Sloppy game but a win on the road against a decent team is a big deal. Like Donkey said, that's a game we would have lost in years past.

I was proud of the defense, especially in the second quarter. We have always struggled to defend the middle of the field but we had the most QB hurries in 10 years.

Offense was sloppy. Our reliance on Ced Tillman was obvious and he saved our butts. We have got to find a way to run the ball… plain and simple.

Special teams. Needs improvement. Nearly cost us the game.

We won. 2-0. Moving on.

THEdonkey0515

If my team had the #1 recruiting class and can't put up more than 7 offensive pts against App State I'm worried.

If the QB couldn't complete 40% of his passes threw 0 Tds and 2picks in a loss at home against a team they was favored over I'm worried.

If they just got beat down by Arkansas and have Georgia next week I'm worried.

Tennessee is just fine headed to week 3

GreyGoose

I am definitely happy with a win on the road against a good team that had a strong fan base behind them.I have gone into this year thinking 8-4 season also but guess I just expected to see more consistency which leaves me with concern.

Gravey

Lots of areas for improvement but I'll take an ugly W over a pretty L any day. Defense kept pressure on their qb's all day so that was good to see. Last stat I saw said 25 hurries. A long way to go but they continue to play hard. Special teams (catching a punt above your head) needs to be addressed. Can't have things like that happen. Offense looked good for the most part if you take the 3rd quarter away. Back to the drawing board for all areas so we hopefully continue to see improvement week after week.

Last edited:

buckaroo

We have a much improved defense, our pass rush was great, I think we beat up their qb's with a veteran o line, offense started slow, if the offense and defense both play as they are capable there is no one we can't beat

cbhunter

Impressed with defense overall

Offense was very meh

Hooker has missed high several times the first two games. That's been different to see. But I also knew all along that it would be hard for him to be as flawless as he was last year. Not a knock on him, just an observation.

GBO 🍊

Displaced_Vol

Seemed like the refs had to review every other play.

UT got the win on the road against a decent team. This is the type of game UT would have lost over the last 10 years.
I found myself being pretty upset afterwards and as I've thought on it and read some I think that last point is the biggest for me. To start in such a hole, and let them tie it up so late, most Vols teams in recent memory would have folded in either of those scenarios. So, on the whole it was great to get out of there with a win. Plenty to work on…but a really good win.

College football games are absurdly too long.

Urban_Hunter

I thought they looked pretty good. Felt like most of the mistakes you all are talking about are individual mistakes as opposed to team/coaching mistakes. Maybe optimistic, but I think plays like the dropped punt are first/second game jitters. Staff held it together and pulled the W against a ranked team in their house. Florida lost and I think our best day beats them and KY. Maybe I had 7-5 vibes early and now think 9-3 is possible.

wayne

Defense surprised me. 25+ qb hurries. Offense is still off just a tick.
Juwan "JJ Peterson" Mitchell is supposed to be ready to go next week, so the defense could get a little more help.
Special teams ain't so special except for McGrath.

Latest posts