TN Bear 2022

timberjack86

Anybody else hunting bear in TN this season? I took my first scouting trip this past weekend here in the mountains. Most sign I found was right at 3000 ft elevation. Lots of torn up logs and yellow jacket nests. Must have bumped a bear because one nest was in the process of being dug up and the bees where still mad and swarming. Found lots of white oak and alittle old climbing sign from last year.
IMG_20201003_073053394.jpg

timberjack86

I will hunt during the dog hunt but by then the acorns will be falling and the bears will probably be in the lower elevations after they eat most of the acorns up high. Probably somewhere around 2000-2500 ft in elevation. Best time is late afternoon after most of the dog hunters have gathered there dogs for the day.

timberjack86

We got one measly tag archery only finally, i hope everyone and there brother accidentally gut shots half a dozen before they actually shot one they can find!!!
I like the bears myself and would hate for that to happen. But I definitely understand people's frustrations with them. Just had one chew on my gas can in the yard and lost all the gas out of it 🤬

knightrider

I like the bears myself and would hate for that to happen. But I definitely understand people's frustrations with them. Just had one chew on my gas can in the yard and lost all the gas out of it 🤬
It wouldnt be such a problem if they would kill the dirty dumpster digging sobs instead of hauling them in here in barrels behind there truck and dumping them out on people who dont want them!!!

timberjack86

It wouldnt be such a problem if they would kill the dirty dumpster digging sobs instead of hauling them in here in barrels behind there truck and dumping them out on people who dont want them!!!
A bunch of them wind up in the bear reserve here in Polk county then get killed in Georgia. They collar them and when they get killed people can call twra with the info on the collar and find out where the bear came from.

Hymie3

We have several on my lease on the mountain in spring city. No season yet. Needs to be. I had one bust out of the woods right beside me about ten yards during Turkey season couple years ago while sitting on the edge of an opening. neither one of us got too excited but I wasn't expecting it for sure…

Boll Weevil

At great risk of being seen as 100% clueless in all things bears (ie: I actually DO consider myself 100% clueless in all things bears), do folks typically process the meat and render the fat or are these just considered nuisance bears? Do the wanton waste laws apply or are there some sort of depredation type permits available?

41Magnum

I actually prefer bear meat over venison. The key is to get rid of ALL of the fat and de-bone the meat. Proper care in the field always helps too. Most folks cook it too fast and too much heat. Low and slow is the order of the day and I marinade mine 24 hrs in Italian dressing before cooking. Some folks do render the fat and use it along with some other ingredients to make waterproofing for boots and etc. Personally I don't fool with the fat.

timberjack86

I actually prefer bear meat over venison. The key is to get rid of ALL of the fat and de-bone the meat. Proper care in the field always helps too. Most folks cook it too fast and too much heat. Low and slow is the order of the day and I marinade mine 24 hrs in Italian dressing before cooking. Some folks do render the fat and use it along with some other ingredients to make waterproofing for boots and etc. Personally I don't fool with the fat.
I agree, my favorite bear meal is hamburgers. Juicy , tender and delicious!!we render the fat down and my wife uses it in all kinds of stuff. It make awesome biscuits and gravy!! If I have a freezer full of bear meat the venison will be the last to be eaten

timberjack86

I am going for the first time this year In scott county....one of my friends has private land w a big one on it...it has came very very close to killing his dogs
Good luck! The bears move a lot! I have them in my yard up until a few weeks before hunting season then they head back to the mountains.

Latest posts