Tipping on guided hunt

swd

I am going on my first elk hunt next month. I have hired an outfitter. We will be using horses to get back into camp and probably each day.

I have no idea what to tip the guide, wrangler, cook, etc. For any that have been on guided hunts or guided, what is customary? I spent most of my young adult life bar tending and waiting tables, so I know what it is like to live on gratuities.

I have done fishing charters and typically do 15-20% of the fee depending on the service level.

Thanks!

fairchaser

tellico4x4":20knusxm said:
Same, 10-20% depending on service

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

*****This***** Also, it may or may not depend on success in getting an animal. Hunting is just that and if those folks worked hard then they deserve a tip.

dgolden

I went on a guided hunt a few years ago. ($3,700) I tipped the guide $400, cook $100, and a guy that helped pack out my bull $100. Seemed fair to me and they seemed happy with it.

swd

Thanks for all the input!

I definitely understand that this is hunting not killing and the effort of the team does not necessarily equate to a dead elk. I am mostly interested in what to do for the cook and horse wrangler.

cmn

I ran a camp for 6 years. I told people do not tip me but take care of my guides, and especially my cook. My guides were the wranglers when we used horses. 100.00 for the cook is good. I believe 15% is average..more if you deem it and less if you deem they don't TRY...I always wanted the client to tip directly unless the outfitter would rather run a pool of gratuities.

2in1shot

Having guided some myself, it's really nice to receive a good tip after you have worked hard for a client. I would leave no less than 15%. Just plan that into the cost of the trip. It goes a long way if you plan on making a return trip.

Latest posts