Time for a change

Stykbow

So here I am at 41 years old and a die hard deer hunter since the age of 12. For the first time I really don't have the urge to ML hunt or really hunt at all. To be honest I think I'm bored with it. For years now it's not been if I kill deer, but when. No challenge and I'm the kind of man that lives for the challenge. My FIL has an old CVA cap lock that is in need of some love. I think I'm going to drag it out, clean it up, and see if I can't kill one with a round ball. I like the thoughts of it and I think it just might get me fired up again. Alright, I'm done rambling. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wobblyshot1

Re: Time for a change

You should have absolutely no trouble killing one with a round ball. The challenge is patience to let em get in close and the ability to put it in the vitals....no cheating...iron sights only.

Gad Father

I have shot a few deer with 70gn FFG and a patched round ball. The biggest problem I have had with shooting deer with this set up is blood trails, but I usually watch them drop.

Stykbow

Southern Sportsman":3d1lrvwa said:
I assume you're not a bow hunter? For me, biggest rush I can get from a deer.
Funny you should ask. I switched to a recurve years ago for this same reason. I found out I can kill deer with a stick bow way easier than I ever could with a compound. In short, it got easy too. I'm hoping I just need something different. And of course it would be iron sights only, wobbly. What kind of commie do you think I am![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smo

That's what I've been talking about since I joined this Forum.

When it gets to where it's all about the "when" most real hunters do tend to loose intrest.

Bow hunting has always been my first love, with a little side lock muzzleloadering along the way.

Then with age and way too many repetitive draws .... always at Hunting weights(65 -84 lbs ) the body started to break down, so from then on it was Traditional Style Cap Lock Muzzleloaders.

In 2008 I bought my first Flintlock rifle and I've never looked back .

The transition from perc guns to flinters is the same as going from Modern weapons to Traditional style weapons.

I'm ten years into it and still relearning to shoot.

Stykbow, you might as well go for the gusto! Just pick you up a nice flinter and get after em'!

Latest posts