Timber harvest, planning and aftermath on my small property...

BSK

Any advice for somebody about to start this process? I have a forestry background so i'm not completely ignorant on what's about to take place with my 40 acre clear cut. However, none of my work ever took deer management into account. Would I be better served to leave occasional 1 acre hardwood stands (mostly tall straight oaks) or random 100 year old behemoth white oaks with large canopies? In my experience it seems like larger canopy trees produce acorn crops more consistantly.
I no longer recommend clear-cutting for habitat cuts. You can cut an oak forest and get back a pure stand of poplar. Deer eat all the oak stump sprouts, leaving only poplar and other undesirable trees (for wildlife habitat). Now it is possible to clear-cut enough acres so that deer can't eat all th stump sprouts, but that would depend on your deer density.

Personally, I recommend and use one of two strategies: 1) logging contract is to cut everything down to 10" or 12" DBH; or 2) logging contract says they can cut any oak down to 10" or 12" DBH, but all other species can be cut to any size. The point of these restrictions is to leave some young to middle-aged oaks standing in the cuts to reseed them from acorns. A 10" DBH oak is old enough to be producing acorns.

And although the difference between a 10" DBH cut and a 12" DBH cut sounds minor, the results are quite different. A 10" DBH cut is MUCH heavier than a 12" cut. Far fewer trees will be left standing in a 10" DBH cut.

First two pictures below are a 10" DBH cut as it is occurring. Third and fourth pictures are first summer after cutting.

Attachments

• logging1.jpg
    logging1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 79
  • logging16.jpg
    logging16.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 80
  • logging7.jpg
    logging7.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 81
  • logging10.jpg
    logging10.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 75

Bushape

In an otherwise clear cut I don't think you'd be hurt to leave a few sporadic oaks. That's something you'll have to work out with your logger, though.
Yeah I walked it a bit with my logger over the weekend. He's cool with doing whatever I want. Going to get back on it beforehand and leave both random trees as well as a stand or two if it lines up geographically with my food plot and or hunting site.

Ski

Yeah I walked it a bit with my logger over the weekend. He's cool with doing whatever I want. Going to get back on it beforehand and leave both random trees as well as a stand or two if it lines up geographically with my food plot and or hunting site.

Please keep us informed on how everything goes, from getting it done to the aftermath to the results.

Huntaholic

I said I wasnt getting in this one, but I have to compliment BSK on finally seeing the light on how clearcutting is NOT the proper way to manage a property!

Bushape

Please keep us informed on how everything goes, from getting it done to the aftermath to the results.
Will do. I have a friend who does drone work and he has agreed to come take an aerial shot of it prior to the timber being harvested. Hoping in time that I can get him back on it to show it after Timber harvesting and then with set out Pine regrowth with plots in place.

squackattack

I would look at the regeneration (understory) and see what you have. It is going to tell you alot about what you will get after a harvest.

Second I would suggest not going with a diameter limit harvest. Every stand is different. Realize you can flag small clearcuts( group openings) and mark cut and leave trees. Could be a bit confusing but you would get what you want.

Third I like small clearcuts personally. Roads and skid trails would be what I make sure are rehabilitated correctly.

I would hammer down a contract you are happy with. Hard to enforce anything without it if things go sideways.

Ski

I would look at the regeneration (understory) and see what you have. It is going to tell you alot about what you will get after a harvest.

Second I would suggest not going with a diameter limit harvest. Every stand is different. Realize you can flag small clearcuts( group openings) and mark cut and leave trees. Could be a bit confusing but you would get what you want.

Third I like small clearcuts personally. Roads and skid trails would be what I make sure are rehabilitated correctly.

I would hammer down a contract you are happy with. Hard to enforce anything without it if things go sideways.

That ^ is spot on.

BSK

The pines we planted in our 10" DBH cuts just two years ago this week are doing really well. No losses to last year's drought. Only losses I could find were from bucks rubbing saplings to death. Pines on west-facing slopes (exposed to hot afternoon sun in the summer) doing better because competition from regrowing hardwoods as lower. Also poorer soil sites are seeing good pine growth due to less native competition. Loblolly will grow in rock!

Picture below is on a west-facing poor-soil site that had been dominated by Mountain Chestnut prior to cutting. Pines saplings are all 3-4 feet tall.

Attachments

• pines4.jpg
    pines4.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 54

rifle02

Mountain chestnut? I've not heard of that one before. Is it another name for chestnut oak?
Yeah that caught my attention. What is it. Something interesting, when I was having a survey done for a forest management plan in order to go with Greenbelt the Forester found a chestnut hull and several leaves on the ground on my property. He couldn't locate the source tree though. Anyone else have that experience on SE of the plateau?

BSK

Mountain chestnut? I've not heard of that one before. Is it another name for chestnut oak?
Full name is Mountain Chestnut Oak, Quercus Montana. They dominate dry, poor soil sites, especially rocky ridge-tops and south-facing slopes.

Ski

Full name is Mountain Chestnut Oak, Quercus Montana. They dominate dry, poor soil sites, especially rocky ridge-tops and south-facing slopes.

Yeah I aware of chestnut oak. I just hadn't ever heard it called mountain chestnut before. One of my favorite woods to mill and work with. Beautiful lumber. White oak with color and character.

BSK

Yeah I aware of chestnut oak. I just hadn't ever heard it called mountain chestnut before. One of my favorite woods to mill and work with. Beautiful lumber. White oak with color and character.
I just wish it had more value as a saw-log. Used to be, the only thing it would sell for was railroad ties. I've got a ton of it on my place. Basically, all the south-facing slopes and the rockiest ridges.

Ski

I just wish it had more value as a saw-log. Used to be, the only thing it would sell for was railroad ties. I've got a ton of it on my place. Basically, all the south-facing slopes and the rockiest ridges.

With white oak market being gobbled up for barrels, the chestnut oak has jumped in value. Up in my neck of the woods It's selling for nearly the same as white oak. Or at least it was. Likely will be again when the timber market goes up again.

BSK

With white oak market being gobbled up for barrels, the chestnut oak has jumped in value. Up in my neck of the woods It's selling for nearly the same as white oak. Or at least it was. Likely will be again when the timber market goes up again.
VERY good news!

What White Oak was selling for to make barrel staves was insane. I'm glad I cut timber at the peak of that market!

BSK

Still can't believe I stuck this tree in the ground as a tiny 6" seedling just two years ago.

Attachments

• pines5.jpg
    pines5.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts