Timber Company Land

BHC

Just curious what some of you guys that lease timber co property do to improve wildlife habitat. The property I hunt is pines on ridge tops with hardwood bottoms. I guess the obvious is planting food plots. But what if anything can you do to enhance the bedding habitat and amount of natural forage on these types of properties..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermin93

They just select cut a large portion of ours and that opened up the canopy real good on parts of the lease. I'm hoping that's going to help a lot with cover and browse. We also do food plots and mineral sites and they both help keep the deer around. I have thought about fertilizing some of the new growth to give it a boost, but that would get expensive quick.

Hunter 257W

Vermin93":18adag7j said:
They just select cut a large portion of ours and that opened up the canopy real good on parts of the lease. I'm hoping that's going to help a lot with cover and browse. We also do food plots and mineral sites and they both help keep the deer around. I have thought about fertilizing some of the new growth to give it a boost, but that would get expensive quick.

I would only be willing to fertilize or lime some of the new growth if there was enough land and few enough hunters that I could be reasonably sure I would get to hunt that area and not just doing it for somebody else. If a bunch of guys had the same mind and each did a small area it could work out well for all. Another plus with this is that you'd have healthy browse in the fertilized/limed areas to attract deer but it would be all but invisible to any trespassers who might slip in to hunt the general area.

MickThompson

log landings and other small clearings can make nice little plots, but they can be easily overhunted. Whatever you decide to do, make sure your landlord is okay with it first.