Tiller Deals?

wetdogsmell

I've been thinking about getting a new tiller before too long. Been doing a little looking on the internet, but haven't seen a lot that excited me.
Has anyone run across any good deals on decent tillers lately? I would rather stay under $1000 if I can, but if I came up on the ultimate tiller that did everything short of pick my okra, I might spend more.

A

Anonymous

If you can find a older Troy Bilt horse that has been taken care of buy it. Those are good tillers and you can find parts easily, most of these new ones are not built very good, unless you spend alot of money.

WRbowhunter

If anyone finds a deal on a new one let us know. I want to get a tiller this year if I can find the right deal. Right now I just rent one. think its $40 for 4 hours.

Wobblyshot1

See them at yard sales alot. With spring coming, yard sales will start happening. Just keep your eyes open.

Just missed a rear tine Troybilt at a yard sale a couple of years ago. $200 for a $600/700 tiller. The thing was practically new.

Also check with some small engine repair guys in your area. They might have a good used one for sale.

rdl65

I bought a Craftsman 14" Rear Tine tiller yesterday off of craigslist. It was bought new last year and used in a small garden one time. It looked brand new and he said he gave almost 900.00 for it. I got it for 300.00 He was moving and didn't want to take it with him.

Paul Burns

I like the old heavy Troybilt Horse and other similar tillers.I have an Airens with 8 hp moter, 2 fwd speeds and rev, the handle swivels so that you can walk beside it. It is belt driven from the motor to the chunk but the rest is solid steel gears. It is heavy but will last a lifetime except for belts or maybe a new motor.
Someone suggested checking small engine repair shops--great starting place--most of the old boys running them know vlaue and will often have one setting around waiting for the right buyer.
They may look old but still be a great value.
That said some like the new lighter weight counter rotating tine models. To each his own.

Poor redneck

I bought one from Home Depot's rental department. Honda rear tine. It is the middle size of their rental fleet. I paid $250 out the door. Was missing a couple of bolts that I easily replaced, other than that it runs like a champ. May check around with local rental companies, I know many of them will sell some of their older equipment at deep discounts. Just tossing out ideas for ya.

A

Anonymous

Stovepipe said:
the thing about them old Troys is that bronze gear. I chewed the teeth off of that gear. Don't know if it was all the rocks in my garden or what.
Did you break any of your teeth off while chewing on em?

WTM

searsoutlet.com

they have great deals on everything. i bought a slightly used display tractor for $459. it retailed for a little over 1900, although i had to drive to antioch to pick it up.

if you use ebates you get money back thru them too.

if you find something you want you better buy it then, cause it wont last long on the site.

WTM

Stovepipe said:
WTM said:
searsoutlet.com

they have great deals on everything. i bought a slightly used display tractor for $459. it retailed for a little over 1900, although i had to drive to antioch to pick it up.

if you use ebates you get money back thru them too.

if you find something you want you better buy it then, cause it wont last long on the site.
Thanks for that link!

I read their FAQ page, but I still have an unanswered question.

If I want something they got on that web page and it's only listed at a Sears in a another state, will they ship to my local store?

i believe some items they will and some they wont. you can call their customer service at searsoutlet listed on the site, they are super helpful.

you basically gotta check it everyday to get a good deal in the local stores. i just used the tennessee store filter and selected all, that way when i checked it only those stores would pop up. good luck.

rvrfshr

Found a great 21" Craftsman w a 8hp B&S on Craigslist. It just needed cleaning and minor maintenance. Will keep my eyes open for something like this. How much do you want to pay and are you willing to drive to N. Mississippi (Corinth area) to pick it up?

Latest posts