Tick Repellant

Radar

Chief Tap-a-Keg said:
I just looked at a can of Deep woods off 29% deet and it says it works for ticks....hows that?...false advertising?
Just try permenone . It works better than Deep Woods Off . I don't care what it says on the can . ;)

Bowdacious

Radar said:
Chief Tap-a-Keg said:
I just looked at a can of Deep woods off 29% deet and it says it works for ticks....hows that?...false advertising?
Just try permenone . It works better than Deep Woods Off . I don't care what it says on the can . ;)
Amen! preach on brother!

Drop 4/5

Just got back in from 4 days in the woods and reduced my tic count from 12 to 2. with permethrine spray from the co-op. Its funny how I can be fishing and everyone is getting hammered by misquitos but nothing bothers me. Get in the woods and its a hole different story.

stik

Kevin said:
Radar, do you use this stuff while hunting during early season?

is there a scent to it?

not radar, but i use it religiously during early season as that's when the ticks are the worst. there is a faint odor when wet but the deer don't seem to notice.

Tim Johnson

I picked up some spray at Academy that has 40% DEET. The 1st time we went to our lease once summer got here I did not use anything. In less than 20 minutes I knocked at least 30 ticks of me. The next time we went I covered myself from head to toe in the 40$ DEET stuff and did not have a single tick on me and we were there for about 2 hours.

moondawg

Chief, just spray the Permanone on your clothes a day or two before you go in the woods. That should give it plenty of time to dry. I use it when I go scouting/hunting the early season.

CoastieHunter

I have not used any of the following for when i was growing up.

But I did use prometherine for my house for fleas and let me tell you 1st hand.... it works! Killed fleas, silverfish, moths, you name it, it killed it! I had stuff crawling out of the walls just do die on my kitchen floor!

As far as smell.... I know that it made my house REAK for a couple days, but I also used about 20 gallons of the stuff!

I'll be using it this weekend setting up stands for sure after reading this forum.

GOOD INFO!

TLRanger

Back when I climbed telephone poles for a living, I always bought two cheap flea collars for dogs and put them around my boots. They worked very goood for about three months before you had to replace them. Side effects were, you wanted to chase cars, bite the postman and lick your ..... oops.
Permenone is the only way to go. Sawyers brand is best.

Radar

I use Permenone in early bow season . I spray my clothes and hang them outside to air them out a few days before I wear them . It does have some scent , but it dissipates .
I try to use the wind to my advantage .