Thoughts on this?

Lost Lake

Two friends hunt our family farm with me, one of them almost every time I go, the other only gets to go on occasion. We each have "our" sections that are our favorites, but anytime the others wish to hunt in them, we oblige. We all put in some form of hard work out there, so we share everything freely. I consider these guys brothers, and we enjoy the others successes at least as much as our own. We even do this on our public spots.

It took a little while for things to evolve as well as they have, but it all worked out, so I understand. I think I'd sit down with him and lay it all out in a straightforward manner so everyone understands one another. Hopefully y'all can sort it out

Last edited:

rukiddin

If it's a lease, tell him you don't want him in there in no uncertain terms. If it's not a lease, then I would tread very lightly until I figured out who was better friends/closer to the landowner.
Seen it several times. You're completely in the right but he gets pissed off and runs to landowner like the whiny little baby a lot of deer hunters can be and landowner then tells YOU to not hunt the property.

Lost Lake

Another option is to tell him,"Sure, hunt in there anytime you'd like!"

Then go hunt in one of the overlooked spots that y'all walk right by, and kill a giant.😆

That'll confuse the snot out of him!

mbader5

At least it's nice to know your hard work paid off. I've been stewing on this post for a little while. I think you're stuck b/t a rock and a hard place on this one - pray on it and hopefully it works out. Maybe ask him to meet for coffee and express your concerns face-to-face over breakfast. Those conversations generally go over a lot better than if you try and message each other.

jmlost

I'd let it go for this season. After season was over I would call a meeting and formally split the areas up. (If that's what y'all want)

If they didn't like that idea we would have to lay down some laws about who is putting in work and when.

A lot of people have zero common sense when it comes to being a good lease member.

deer hunter 21

I have one spot that I share with some friends but I never tell them what I'm doing and never ask them to chip in on cost and if I'm lucky enough to get a deer I almost always lie about where I got it from, I've been in a situation just like yours and it ended up just like this.

huvrman

Matthew 18:15-17 is a pretty good guide on how to handle it. Obviously in this case I wouldn't take it to the church. But if he isn't receptive after you've tried the one-on-one, and you are unwilling to live with it, then I'd get the other guy who hunts your property and all three of you have a powwow to hash out some ground rules.
I completely understand your predicament. When I first bought my property my neighbor asked if he could hunt part that was behind his house. He had previously hunted it and since his house sat at the head of my driveway, I figured I'd let him in exchange for him watching over my place when I was gone. So for many years I let him. He stayed in his little area. Problem was I began to restrict where I hunted on my property because I didn't want to mess him up. Although it was my land, I (being military as someone previously stated) began to place his use of my land (his wants) above my use of my land (my wants). I found myself not going into that area because I never knew when he was going to be hunting or even if he was going to hunt at all that season. So, I told him he would have to notify me before the season if he was going to hunt. (I really didn't want to tell him he'd have to tell me every time he was going in there. I felt that would just be petty and since we were neighbors and all, just overkill.). That lasted one year. The next year, when I had not heard from him by the bow opener (he didn't bow hunt but I did), I sent him a text and told him to pull his stand, I intended to hunt that area. He pulled his stand and the rest is history. It is very easy to try to be nice and end up restricting yourself in an effort to keep the peace or be a good neighbor. But a single act of kindness can turn into a moral dilemma down the road if not entered into with a hint of caution. Matthew 18:15 is where I'd start.

rem270

If you have other properties to hunt I would just tell him you plan on jumping around a lot and won't make the decision til the morning of and not sure if you'll be there or not.

Hopefully it won't turn into a big deal but I understand you not wanting to hunt it until the right conditions.

MUP

No you're not being ridiculous. Tell him that you worked hard to improve your stand location, and that you'll be hunting it on the days that the wind is right for your stand, and the days you're not there, the stand doesn't need to be hunted or it'll mess up your hunting. Plain and simple. Then remind him that you helped him with his stand for him to hunt from and he can live in that stand for all you care. ;)

Ski

No you're not being ridiculous. Tell him that you worked hard to improve your stand location, and that you'll be hunting it on the days that the wind is right for your stand, and the days you're not there, the stand doesn't need to be hunted or it'll mess up your hunting. Plain and simple. Then remind him that you helped him with his stand for him to hunt from and he can live in that stand for all you care. ;)

To the point. I like it

RockMcL

Have a couple hundred acres that I hunt with 2 other fellas. One might go twice per year, the other is an older gentleman who hunts with a bit more frequency as we get into MZ and gun. We all sort of have "our areas" we hunt with a little overlap on top of the mountain. This offseason I put a considerable amount of work into one area on the side of a ridge, plots and other improvements. This fall those improvements have paid off in spades in terms of deer activity. I have a stand setup in the middle of this area. Also in the offseason, I went with the older gentleman to hang his stand. I put it up for him, made trail improvements to facilitate travel (full day of chainsaw work and dragging downed trees/brush), put out mineral licks, etc. I never touch this side of the property. In my mind it's "his". Even when I've wanted to, I stayed out of there. Now that he has become aware of the activity on "my side" he is posting up there. Just messaged me this morning asking which days I'm going to hunt because he plans to be there. I'm VERY selective on the days I'm in there. I know it's a honey hole and I don't want to blow it out. I've hunted other spots on days I wanted to go there just so I don't screw it up. I've even sat home on days the wind wasn't right because I don't want to stink up the joint. To be honest, I'm pretty frustrated that he plans to hunt "my spot". My question is, would you be? Am I being ridiculous? Just feel like I've put all this work in for him at the 11th hour and reap the benefits.

If I'm a jerk, tell me I'm a jerk. Trying to get a lil perspective here.
Sometimes people don't understand the big picture and sometimes they are so selfish they don't care.

Sounds like you have been doing the right things.

Good luck

High Forrest Hunter

Have a couple hundred acres that I hunt with 2 other fellas. One might go twice per year, the other is an older gentleman who hunts with a bit more frequency as we get into MZ and gun. We all sort of have "our areas" we hunt with a little overlap on top of the mountain. This offseason I put a considerable amount of work into one area on the side of a ridge, plots and other improvements. This fall those improvements have paid off in spades in terms of deer activity. I have a stand setup in the middle of this area. Also in the offseason, I went with the older gentleman to hang his stand. I put it up for him, made trail improvements to facilitate travel (full day of chainsaw work and dragging downed trees/brush), put out mineral licks, etc. I never touch this side of the property. In my mind it's "his". Even when I've wanted to, I stayed out of there. Now that he has become aware of the activity on "my side" he is posting up there. Just messaged me this morning asking which days I'm going to hunt because he plans to be there. I'm VERY selective on the days I'm in there. I know it's a honey hole and I don't want to blow it out. I've hunted other spots on days I wanted to go there just so I don't screw it up. I've even sat home on days the wind wasn't right because I don't want to stink up the joint. To be honest, I'm pretty frustrated that he plans to hunt "my spot". My question is, would you be? Am I being ridiculous? Just feel like I've put all this work in for him at the 11th hour and reap the benefits.

If I'm a jerk, tell me I'm a jerk. Trying to get a lil perspective here.
Be honest. Be polite. I'm sure he understands and will see the error in his ways.

UCStandSitter

Be honest. Be polite. I'm sure he understands and will see the error in his ways.
I've been subtle but not that subtle. If he isn't getting it at this point it's because he doesn't want to. Believe I am gonna choose to let this thing go for this year at least. Couple deer ain't worth makin a mess over. Will make other arrangements next year

Latest posts