Thoughts on this?

Talome13

I agree, no way I would bring something like this up mid-season. Thats just my opinion.

Talome13

Doesn't stop me from bein down right mad over it though... :)
Agree, as would I. But I would be mad at myself as well for not bringing this up before I put in the hard work. You probably never expected this to happen. Hindsight is 20/20

recurve60#

Have a couple hundred acres that I hunt with 2 other fellas. One might go twice per year, the other is an older gentleman who hunts with a bit more frequency as we get into MZ and gun. We all sort of have "our areas" we hunt with a little overlap on top of the mountain. This offseason I put a considerable amount of work into one area on the side of a ridge, plots and other improvements. This fall those improvements have paid off in spades in terms of deer activity. I have a stand setup in the middle of this area. Also in the offseason, I went with the older gentleman to hang his stand. I put it up for him, made trail improvements to facilitate travel (full day of chainsaw work and dragging downed trees/brush), put out mineral licks, etc. I never touch this side of the property. In my mind it's "his". Even when I've wanted to, I stayed out of there. Now that he has become aware of the activity on "my side" he is posting up there. Just messaged me this morning asking which days I'm going to hunt because he plans to be there. I'm VERY selective on the days I'm in there. I know it's a honey hole and I don't want to blow it out. I've hunted other spots on days I wanted to go there just so I don't screw it up. I've even sat home on days the wind wasn't right because I don't want to stink up the joint. To be honest, I'm pretty frustrated that he plans to hunt "my spot". My question is, would you be? Am I being ridiculous? Just feel like I've put all this work in for him at the 11th hour and reap the benefits.

If I'm a jerk, tell me I'm a jerk. Trying to get a lil perspective here.
You're not a jerk. There's an unspoken code that some people will never understand. Its a tough situation though.

tnhunter62

I would ask the guy what about all the work you did to "his" hunting spots and why he wasn't using them instead of hunting spots you work on by yourself.

UCStandSitter

Agree, as would I. But I would be mad at myself as well for not bringing this up before I put in the hard work. You probably never expected this to happen. Hindsight is 20/20
Well when I hunted last year the other two guys only hunted about twice a piece. No big deal. This year he didnt show interest until after I worked so hard. I'm choosing to believe he is just trying to be friends with me. Wife informs he is always sayin nice things about me and wants to spend more time with me (per his wife). If I think of it that way I can chalk it up to him bein from somwhere else and just not understanding what it is to be Southern. That way I can snile and glad hand when I see him instead of wanting to break his hip like the heathen I really am deep down.

megalomaniac

Best lease rule... no individual/ personal spots. If someone hangs a stand on the middle of nowhere, and someone else finds it, they can hunt it if they get there first. Someone puts up a feeder (in MS where its legal) and spends $1000 keeping it full and another member shows up first, they get it. Love this rule. The downside... most won't invest a ton of time or $$$ improving a spot, because it others will get there first.

Now on the land I own, pay taxes on, spend $$$ for plots, allow others to hunt on... well I'm THE BOSS. I make it more than fair... for example my cousin and his daughter are coming in tomorrow to hunt. They haven't hunted before this year, so I told him what deer are in which areas, which deer have been killed already, how the food sources and travel patterns are currently then give him first pick of all the spots. Me and the kids are going to what's left over after they pick first. But I'm just as happy for one of my guests to kill a good buck as if I had killed it myself...even tho I did all the work and $$$. I'm just at that point in my hunting career.

woodsman04

I think it's tough to make that decision. I used to be very competitive (and still am) but now I don't get just downright jealous anymore over deer.

First mistake you made in my mind was somehow letting him know you're seeing deer or what not in your area. I don't get jealous of other people that I hunt with or around, but I dang sure never give anyone any info. And just because they know I ain't lying I will sometimes may give a basic normal answer…"I saw a basket rack 8 two mornings in a row and seen a few does"…. "I didn't hear a turkey today but I saw a hen in the pasture"

I'm 100% putting others before yourself. And sometimes even if you work for it. I ain't talking about being bullied or run over either.
Now I don't know how old this guy is either. Or how nice of a fella he is. I guess to me it would depend on what he was like, his health condition, and how I thought he treated others and my self.

No good deed goes unpunished. No matter how long the wait. But also I understand the part on your effort, time, and money spent just for you.

Also, don't start an argument or the landowner May kick all of you out.

UCStandSitter

I think it's tough to make that decision. I used to be very competitive (and still am) but now I don't get just downright jealous anymore over deer.

First mistake you made in my mind was somehow letting him know you're seeing deer or what not in your area. I don't get jealous of other people that I hunt with or around, but I dang sure never give anyone any info. And just because they know I ain't lying I will sometimes may give a basic normal answer…"I saw a basket rack 8 two mornings in a row and seen a few does"…. "I didn't hear a turkey today but I saw a hen in the pasture"

I'm 100% putting others before yourself. And sometimes even if you work for it. I ain't talking about being bullied or run over either.
Now I don't know how old this guy is either. Or how nice of a fella he is. I guess to me it would depend on what he was like, his health condition, and how I thought he treated others and my self.

No good deed goes unpunished. No matter how long the wait. But also I understand the part on your effort, time, and money spent just for you.

Also, don't start an argument or the landowner May kick all of you out.
I didnt make any mistake. He came over round my setup on his own and found scrapes

DMD

I'd definitely talk to him. I spent too many years not saying anything to keep the peace in situation. Not anymore. Just talk to him man to man. Nicely, kindly. But, just tell him how you see it. Then offer to take him back there to hunt later in the season a time or two, if you want. But, tell him exactly how you see this thing..that he didn't hunt there until you improved it. And you worked hard and shelled out money to improve your area. Just tell him, but determine before you do, whatever the outcome, you are not going to let it affect your friendship.

Swampster

I almost to the point i wont hunt land i dont own
I've never in my life hunted land that I didn't own except when I was a teenager... then I hunted land my father owned. So, from age 20 to age 40, I didn't hunt at all. I just worked my butt off making and saving money. For me, having neighbors was a big motivator to save for a piece of my own land, and you can't have too much. Only mistake I made was balking on the price of an additional adjoining piece some years ago. Should have followed my father's advice from my childhood that you always buy any land that becomes available if it connects to yours. I'm not rich and only have well under 200 acres, but when you get older, and it is paid for, it can be so relaxing. Deer hunting is totally different - you are not in the woods after that big one. You are just out on your piece of God's earth, communing with His creation, it doesn't really matter if you see one or not.

My grandparents were sharecroppers who became land owners - owning a piece of land is almost kind of sacred to our family.

Latest posts