This past weekend long read no kill

JDP

Well I borrowed my buddies foxpro call and was all set to go on Ft Campbell Sat morning.
Well I go to set up the caller and find I didn't have the remote in the bag. So I set up on a field edge just seeing what happens. About 20 mins in I hear come crows fighting and look off to my left about 200 yrds I catch movement. The old coyote was moving away and never stopped. I tried to lip squeel but didn't help.
Went to Richard's to see what cheapo ecaller they may have here in Clarksville, well all they had was a 39.99 HS Johny Stewart call about the size of my 1st cell phone. I didn't give it much thought since it was the only ecaller they had.
So Sunday morning I set up with a cross wind from the south with an open field with a nice thick field to the east. Well I wasn't expecting the remote to work with the 50 yrd distance from the package, so I set it beside me and started calling. Within 7 mins of rabbit distress with a hurt yote pup sound here it came in from 400 yds. I couldn't believe it! So once it moved behind a little group of saplings I readied my rifle. It was moving to my left to get down wind and it stopped about 150 yrd out. I wish I had waited for a closer shot b/c I rushed the shot and missed. Didn't even see where the bullet went. The coyote ran off up to were it came from and stopped. I waited and lip squeeled until it went back into the thicket.
I waited a good 30 mins to see if maybe it would come back but no luck. So I moved closer about 50 yrds from the thicket and set up in a bigger group of trees. Once I hit the caller that yote was just howling and barking up a storm. I could tell it was moving around by the sound moving back and forth up and down the thicket. It never came out so I moved off to about 1 mile down the big thicket hoping it or another would be out cruising on the roads through out the area. Nothing!

Sorry for the long read with no results. It was a good hunt although no kill. I was just amazed that the tiny call with 5 sounds would get them to come in. I've hunted with a big speaker FoxPro with over 40 sounds a few times and only been able to call in 1 yote 2 weekends ago. Maybe it was the different sounds that worked b/c I know that on Sat someone was coyote hunting in that area where I hunted on Sun.

Latest posts