Thinking about planting today & tomorrow

rvs9

Looks like my area may see some rain on Wed/Thur. Hopefully a super-slow-soaker. I'd like to get half my plots planted before then. Maybe do the rest this weekend. It will be done right (i.e tilled yesterday, will compact soil, cover seed, etc.). Say I don't get the rain that I am hoping for until next week - should the seed be okay?

ferg

I think you'll be fine - I'm looking forward to the rain - your seed should be ok - I don't think you'll be able to avoid the rain over the next couple of days - at least that's my optimistic view of it :)

ferg....

BSK

As long as the seed doesn't germinate, it can last for a very, very long time, especially if planted to the approriate depth. I had buckwheat seed laying on top the ground from mid-July until it got rained on 2 months later through the worst heat and drought in recorded history and it germinated once it got rained on.

rvs9

Well, I finished 3 of 5 plots yesterday. Tilled, spread the oats and winter peas, drug, then cultipacked. Spread the clovers and rape, then cultipacked. Gonna try and get the last 2 done today before the (HOPEFULLY) rain.

Latest posts