The stinkin thing exploded!!

RussellvilleRob

I have been posting a little lately about string wear and some tuning issues. Radar and Tox-Phil have been giving me a few pointers, along with a few more folks. Anyway, yesterday evening I decided to shoot a couple arrows and adjust my rest. About half-way thru my draw the thing exploded. I dont know what happened. The wear on the string was not what I thought to be unsafe. Apparently I was wrong!! I still dont know for sure what happened. The string broke right where it wraps around the cam.
It also destroyed my Whisker Biscuit. I dont know how, but it did. I wasnt hurt bad. Just a huge burn on my arm. (Thank God)
I will be making a trip to Tom's Sporting goods. I am not going to try and tinker with it myself. This needs the attention of experts.
By the way, it is a Bear Instinct bow.

Radar

Glad you are okay , string breakage can be dangerous . It's kind of hard to analyze string wear or bow problems on a forum without actually looking at a bow . That is a high wear area on some cam designs . When in doubt , change it out .

RussellvilleRob

Radar said:
Glad you are okay , string breakage can be dangerous . It's kind of hard to analyze string wear or bow problems on a forum without actually looking at a bow . That is a high wear area on some cam designs . When in doubt , change it out .
Thanks. I have learned a lesson from this. I guess I just wanted to make it last and not turn loose of some green.
That probably answers the question about my broadheads hitting a little high. Dont you think?

Buck Assassin

man! glad your all right!! my dad was at a archery range onece and said he saw a guys string break, he said it made a cut from the side of his face all the way down to his mid section.

bowhunter 51

I once accidentally touched a string with a sharp broadhead...
It was down to a single thread...I freaked..but managed to
get my string changer on it before it could snap...close one..
That was years ago..Think I'll examine mine, right now....BH51

pjridge

Glad your not hurt. Compounds produce a lot of energy and friction. It's hard to remember sometimes but it's always a good idea to inspect the entire bow and arrows before and during a practice session. If you have stands broken or frayed on the string or cable, buy new ones. I use a cotton ball to inspect my limbs for splitters. Long time ago back when dacon string material was the norm, I had a couple bows explode and it is no fun, so I know where your coming from.

Toxophilite Phil

Go to Tom's and tell Mickey that Phil said to get it right or I would be down to give him what for. No seriously, Mickey will get it fixed. But to be honest if the thing exploded you very well may have some stress cracks in your limbs. This will be another accident waiting to happen. If it doesn't blow up again, it may be hard to get good arrow flight. I saw an x-ray once of a stressed cracked limbs....wondered how the thing even shot. May have to send it off or just order new limbs. If you can't wait for it to be fixed I got a Martin Shadow Cat I can put you in right.

bowhunter163

the exact thing happened to me last bow season except mine exploded in full draw in my stand costed me a doe. some of you might have read the story last year

Latest posts