The portal?

Boll Weevil

What are the various reasons college football players enter the portal? I assume mostly because they aren't happy where they are for various reasons but there's some kids that have had a fantastic season that are entering the portal. Starters, lots of playing time, lots of targets, big numbers…but they're leaving?

Anyone got any insights?

Jbird22

Some players are looking for more playing time/exposure or when a head coach is fired/resigns to take another job. Some get an opportunity to go play for a more competitive team. Others are ONLY looking for more NIL money. Entering the portal could be an attempt at renegotiating with their current teams.

Sadly, the glory days of college football are in the rear view.

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Read an article that said the Ohio St quarterback is leaving which, according to them, would mean Marvin Harrison Jr would be transferring too if he doesn't go pro.

Gravey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Ruining the sport.
Started with coaching salaries and no end in sight. Hard to tell a kid not to take the money when his coach is making millions. I don't agree with it but fully believe the coaching salaries off the charts started all of this nonsense

lafn96

Read an article that said the Ohio St quarterback is leaving which, according to them, would mean Marvin Harrison Jr would be transferring too if he doesn't go pro.
Read something today that MH Jr is supposedly going to get paid NIL $$ approximately what he'd get as a 1st rd draft pick for next year to get him to stay at OSU for next year.

I don't get their Kyle McCord leaving. Can't be because he thinks another school has a better chance at the Natl Championship. If he's a real competitor, he wouldn't be afraid of having to win the starting position next year, and there's no way they guaranteed it to anyone else for next year. So it sounds like it comes down to purely the NIL$; and doesn't care if he doesn't have as good of a chance at winning a championship.

With that said, being a Husker fan - he'd be a big step up for us; and I know we've talked to him.

deerhunter10

Nil for the starters that don't leave the program. The rest most think they should start. I listen to the erik ainge podcast every day and the number of kids that go in the portal to never get picked up is staggering. I don't want to throw a number out but it's a big percentage.

Rabbitkil

i believe it's a good thing has been going on for years anyway now it just makes it fair across the board and gives players that didn't get exposure in high school a chance to go to a smaller college make a name for himself and get paid at a bigger school

PillsburyDoughboy

I think they need to propose a rule that makes sense that if you make so much in NIL money that you have to give up any and all athletic scholarships so those can go to more deserving individuals that may not have the same advantages.

Academic scholarships aside. Those are earned regardless.

trtr0611

Glad to see that the tn vols new fan boy doing well. Go Lane :)
That is absolutely the dumbest statement. You can come up with some of the most stupid stuff. Just because you read some news story that a very few Vols fans would accept Kiffin back in Knoxville suddenly he's a fan boy? Good grief!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I have such mixed emotions on the portal and NIL. I'm all for it in premise, but I don't like the Wild West state of things right now. The reason that I've loved college football was that I could watch my favorite team with an eye to my favorite young players and watch them develop ON THE TEAM over a 2-4yr span. Now the rosters are so different from year to year and it just doesn't have the same appeal. This offseason was predicted to be the worst year for movement that has been seen yet, and that prediction has come true for sure. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, and everything to do with a feeling of personal attachment/loyalty to the players on the team that has been lost in the fray. Also, the public airing of grievances has made this so hard to watch.

Oh well, old man rant over.

PillsburyDoughboy

That is absolutely the dumbest statement. You can come up with some of the most stupid stuff. Just because you read some news story that a very few Vols fans would accept Kiffin back in Knoxville suddenly he's a fan boy? Good grief!
Stated right here.

lafn96

I have such mixed emotions on the portal and NIL. I'm all for it in premise, but I don't like the Wild West state of things right now. The reason that I've loved college football was that I could watch my favorite team with an eye to my favorite young players and watch them develop ON THE TEAM over a 2-4yr span. Now the rosters are so different from year to year and it just doesn't have the same appeal. This offseason was predicted to be the worst year for movement that has been seen yet, and that prediction has come true for sure. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, and everything to do with a feeling of personal attachment/loyalty to the players on the team that has been lost in the fray. Also, the public airing of grievances has made this so hard to watch.

Oh well, old man rant over.
NIL combined with the transfer portal and immediate eligibility is the problem. There is no reason starters on teams that are perennial national contenders should be leaving - but that is what's happening. Take away the immediate eligibility and players can still be paid, but I think it will greatly curb this problem if they have to sit out a year or even lose that year of eligibility. They can always have exceptions for things like family emergencies, coaching staff leaving, etc.