The normalization of modern turkey hunting.

megalomaniac

Richard I hope you didn't pick the photo for this article. But if not I'm almost even more saddened by what has become 'normal' or 'standard' turkey hunting in the eyes of the general public. Traditional turkey hunters are doomed.

I hate to keep being the old guy screaming 'kids, get off my lawn!'.. but I hope to have a few more springs left in me, and I don't want what my spring encompasses defined by pictures like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-160024_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-160024_Samsung Internet.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 196

Gravey

"As long as it's legal, who cares?"
Immediately precedes
"Make (fill in the blank) legal. That's what limits are for."
I hate that statement so much lol. Those are what I call the liberal hunters Along with "I'm gonna eat"and "killers gonna kill". Selfishness and greed is what's got us to where we're at
Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical. 😉

woodsman04

I've heard somewhere that when we check our turkeys in on the app, it's going to have like a few questions afterwards.
I wonder if those questions afterwards will ask about decoys??

I've said this a lot, I don't have a problem with decoys or people that use them. I have a problem with how easy they are for lazy folks or the folks that think just because they are legal do it.

It is unsporting. No other way around it.

paboom

A couple thoughts.

1 - I'm guessing that picture was chosen for the article because one of the changes was for banning the act of fanning turkeys. So they chose a picture of fanning to display. I don't see the author saying this is a representation of all turkey hunting.

2 - "Modernization" is happening everywhere. It's a product of advancement and life in general. Agreed, it's not always good. I think we can all agree that the advent of social media has created some significant negative impacts. But turkey hunting isn't isolated. We have inline muzzleloaders that are extremely accurate out to 300 yards now. Compounds that you can hold forever with crazy accuracy. Is it having an negative effect on turkeys? I'd say you can make that argument pretty easily. But you could also make that argument about a lot of other modernization movements in the world.

I'm not against any of the changes that TN made. But every generation thinks the one before it was best and we need to go 'back'. I honestly think our best days are behind us (in turkey hunting and in several other areas of life). I guess my point is, pushing back against modernization of turkey hunting is going to be a very difficult, uphill battle with little opportunity for gain. I think we are much better off focusing on areas where we can make a difference. Mentoring new hunters, habitat improvement, predator control etc.

NChunt1

Can't say I don't enjoy reaping a turkey or two. I would rather call them in but if conditions are right the ole tail fan comes out on occasion.

Latest posts