Texan .457 SS go the job done

Rollo

I promised myself I'd give the Texan a chance to drop a buck this year and it did not disappoint. 50 yard upper lung shot. No blood trail but he piled up 20 yards away. The "thud" the 290 gr. NSA HP made was unmistakable. Not a monster but a good sized deer. Have been seeing this guy for a month now and finally got the opportunity to pull the trigger on him late afternoon. I actually let him walk 2 other times this season but this afternoon I noticed he was limping and I had the time to do the process. Glad I did because someone had shot him in the front lower leg and infection was starting to set in. Again, not the biggest but happy with him and the performance of the Texan.

Attachments

• IMG_9482.jpg
    IMG_9482.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5,159
  • IMG_9484.jpg
    IMG_9484.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5,162

Rollo

Wobblyshot1":tkuqjizs said:
Finally....Have been keeping an eye on this forum wondering if a kill would happen....it did! Congrats!!
Thanks. Appreciate it. Yeah, hunting with the air gun is kinda cool. Especially the SS and how quiet it is. But shot placement is very crucial. I was skeptical that a perfectly placed body shot would get the job done but after reading reports of even bigger animals being dropped with the same set up I figured I'd give it a try. It didn't disappoint, exactly.. Still no blood trail or full pass through but he dropped within 20 yards. Going to try different bullets to get better expansion. I may do some power modifications next year to increase the energy. The main reason for using the airgun is because my property is on a hill top with houses in the distance. A rifle round would potentially leave the property but the airgun has the perfect trajectory to be lethal in the hunting space without compromising safety outside the property boundary. A shotgun slug is just loud (with an uncomfortable kick :eek: ). I still bow hunt but my accuracy with the Texan is waaaayyy better :D

Rollo

Kirk":3l2d9fl8 said:
EXCELLENT! I am so glad you broke the ice and got one. I have been hunting exclusively with my Texan SS this gun season and just haven't seen anything I wanted to shoot yet.
Keep at it Kirk. The rut seems to be winding down in my area but with these fronts pushing through should give you a good opportunity at a good one. Good luck man and patience!

Atchman2

Bone Collector":3jdeceoc said:
Very cool. I am interested in these big bore air rifles, but I don't have any places that would really require me to get one, and I haven't taken the financial plunge yet. :lol:

Yeah the price of them makes you think twice. You can get a really decent powder burner for that price. It has a really high upfront cost but almost zero cost to own. The reason I would want one is just the challenge of taking animals with them and the fact you might be able to hunt near populated areas a little easier.

Latest posts