tesoro cibola and threshold

HornHunter

Im looking into buying a new detector and decided to stay true to tesoro so ive decided on the cibola does anyone know about this detector and how the threshold operates on any detector?

Hogbear

If it's like my old Tejon, the threshold only works in pinpoint mode. In standard disc mode, it's a "silent search" type detector and it's quiet until it picks up metal. In pinpoint/all-metal mode, you adjust the threshold until you can just hear a constant low hum with no metal present. This allows you to hear the slight changes in the hum when you're over small or deep metal objects. Sometimes a signal isn't strong enough to make a noise in silent-search/disc mode, but you can hear the slight change in all-metal/pinpoint mode.

Tesoro has the manuals available to read online: http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/cibola/

Crow Terminator

Nope the Cibola and Vaquero work a little different on the threshold knob than a Tejon. The Tejon has a preset threshold when it went into Disc mode. They designed it that way because several of the prototype testers requested it so that it wouldn't be something to worry about being accidently knocked out of whack since most of the hunting with that machine would be done via disc mode.

The Cibola and Vaquero are toned down Tejons. Which is a good thing in a lot of cases...especially in trash. But anyway what you can do with them that you can't do on the Tejon is "super tune" them. That is to say, if you are in an area that ain't too riddled with trash you can achieve an honest to goodness 2-3 inches more depth by turning the threshold knob all the way clockwise. Now when you go to pinpoint and throw the machine into all metal, you're gonna have to turn it back down or it will drive you crazy trying to locate the target.

Most people recommend setting the threshold just to the place you can hear a steady humming sound. All you really use it for UNLESS you hunt all metal, is to ground balance with and the Cibola has a preset ground balance so that ain't no biggie.

I have had all three machines; Cibola, Vaquero, and Tejon. I hope you got one with the "high tone" because you wouldn't believe me if I told you but it makes a world of difference being able to distinguish a good target in a lot of iron. I liked my Cibola okay...I used it for a specific use though. I took the stock coil off it and put the 5.75" coil on it and used it for cherry picking trashy sites. The Vaquero is the same thing as the Cibola only it has a manual GB; so that means by default it will go deeper because it can be set up to handle the soils you are hunting at the time. I no longer use Tesoro machines but they still find plenty of coins and relics for other people.

Latest posts