TC Shockwaves The Jurys in !

kc4sox

Well, I finally connected on a Buck this evening. A nice fat 4 point just right for jerky. This was my first deer harvested using TC shockwaves 250 grn. (100grns 777 pellets) I have to say i'm not impressed. While the deer only went 25yrds before pilling up for good, there was no exit and ZERO blood on the ground. Shot was 125yrds quartering away. Bullet entered just behind the near side ribs and drove through both lungs ending up lodged in the chest wall behind the off shoulder.There was a small entry hole, no exit, and no blood for tracking if the need had arisen. I would hate to have tried to track this deer in heavy cover in low light. I guess I'm gonna have to look for somethignt that will give pass throughs from my Omega. Has anyone got first hand experience with 300 grn XTP's ???

Mike

infoman jr.

I shot a doe in the neck Saturday evening with the 250 gr shockwaves and their was no expansion. Granted I couldn't expect a bullet to expand all that much in that distance. I still had to finish her off although she dropped in her tracks.

TennBuck

kc4sox, i had a friend try the 300 xtp's last year. he went to the 240's this year because he didn't think they were expanding enough under 100gr 777.

trust me, the 240's expand. here's a pic of a entrance wound(size of a quarter) from a 50 yard shot on a doe. the exit wound came out below shoulder and snapped her leg.

entrance.jpg

fishboy1

KC,
I have had awesome results from the 300 gr xtp's
Get a box at wally world for about $9
Get your load dialed in.
Then go online and buy a box of 300gr XTP bullets not the 300gr xtp Mag. Just the plain xtp's. Pick up a sack of sabots. You should get 50 bullets for about $10 + $7 for a 50 bag of sabots.

The xtp MAG is a stouter bullet made for velocites between 1200fps and 2500fps. Your mz probably shoots 1500-1600 at the muzzle. So you have lost a lot of speed and energy out at 100yds.
The Plain XTP (non mag) is designed to expand at speeds between 700fps-1400 fps. IF you shoot one point blank that bullet will expand a lot, but they hold together well and should make a BIG hole all the way through.

jakeway

I shot a yong buck with a 300 XTP Mag with 110 gr 777 Saturday, and both the entrance and exit looked like the pic posted previously.

My son shot a big doe at 60 yards, using the 240 gr XTP Mag with two 50 gr 777 pellets. His broke the shoulder blade on the back side and still exited. Both deer left "no-need-to-bend-over-or-slow-down-while-trailing-this-blood-trail" blood trails.

bighead 1

I got a 5 point Sat. afternoon using 300 grain skockwave,shot was about80 yards and he went maybe 20 yards and piled up ,i like this bullet with 100 grain loose powder 777.

square

I killed 3 does with the 250 grain shock wave over 100 gr loose 777. Expansion wasn't what I would have liked but exit wounds on all three. One shot quartering toward me with the entrance in the right shoulder and the exit in front of the left rear leg. Penetration doesn't really seem to be an issue. Time will tell about the expansion.

jakeway

Re-reading your original post, I don't think you should be too disenchanted. 125 yards is a pretty long ways, and with the velocity you're probably getting with that load, the KE would be around 1000, which is what I call my limit for deer.

Plus a quartering away shot means a lot of flesh to plow through, so I'm not surprised the bullet didn't punch through the skin on the far side. If the entrance hole was above the mid-point of the chest, the lungs would have to collect quite a bit of blood before it started coming out.

Congrats on getting the deer!

sharris10

Shot a doe with a 250 grain Shockwave on Saturday morning. Quartering to shot at 60 yards. Exit wound was a little smaller than a ping pong ball. 3rd deer I have taken with the shockwaves.....first one had a huge exit wound and good blood, the last two were decent but did the job.

rocket04

all three deer i have shot with the 200 grn .45 cal shockwaves have had great pen, and left nasty holes both entrance and exit. cant complain but none of the shots have been farther than 75 yards either.

CZ284

I shot my first two with the 250 gr Shockwaves (2 50 gr 777 pellets) Saturday. First one was at about 80 yards through the top of the shoulders, deer dropped in it's tracks with an exit hole about the size of a quarter. Second was at about 90 yards, double lung and same result- except this one ran about 75 yards, plenty of blood to track right at dark. Massive internal damage and the hole in the off side rib cage was bigger than a ping pong ball. I had been shooting 295 gr powerbelts and like the Shockwaves better.

rogvegas

Shot three with them (250gr shockwaves) over last couple of years, and none of them moved out of their tracks. I can't complain, but i also shoot three pellets(150gr of 777). :)