Talkin' Set-Up

spitndrum

I know everyone prolly prefers setting up on a big field or atleast I do but sometimes I find myself having to call some hardwoods-on the plateau ag fields are few and far between. While I have called a couple in through the hardwoods I still would love to set up on a big field?

MRUTVOL

I am not a big fan of tight setups where vision is limited . I want to be able to see as much area as I can. Most tight setups result in hurried shots simply because you do not see them until they are right on top of you or they can circle downwind with you not knowing it. Better to have 2 people sitting back to back to help spot the slippers as I call them. Also better off with a scatter gun than rifle cause most of my experinece with tight range hunting is they are on you and gone in a blink. Heck I had one slip up on me to within 3 or 4 feet and he or I never knew each other was there. I had my rifle laying in my lap pointed the other direction or I could have just shot him almost point blank. When he did smell me he bolted right across my outstrecthed legs causing me to yell out. He never looked back I did not get the shot off. I also was calling one spring sitting backed up into a brushpile and unbeknown to me after about 10 mins of calling a yote had climbed up on the brushpile and just as I started a sequence that sucker fell right in my lap and scared the holy crap out of me and her. She bolted out about 40 yards and looked back to see what the heck I was and she took a load of 3 1/2 inch #4s to the side. I am just glad it was not a bobcat because they come in ready to do business with them claws! :crazy:

THE ONE

MRUTVOL said:
I am not a big fan of tight setups where vision is limited . I want to be able to see as much area as I can. Most tight setups result in hurried shots simply because you do not see them until they are right on top of you or they can circle downwind with you not knowing it. Better to have 2 people sitting back to back to help spot the slippers as I call them. Also better off with a scatter gun than rifle cause most of my experinece with tight range hunting is they are on you and gone in a blink. Heck I had one slip up on me to within 3 or 4 feet and he or I never knew each other was there. I had my rifle laying in my lap pointed the other direction or I could have just shot him almost point blank. When he did smell me he bolted right across my outstrecthed legs causing me to yell out. He never looked back I did not get the shot off. I also was calling one spring sitting backed up into a brushpile and unbeknown to me after about 10 mins of calling a yote had climbed up on the brushpile and just as I started a sequence that sucker fell right in my lap and scared the holy crap out of me and her. She bolted out about 40 yards and looked back to see what the heck I was and she took a load of 3 1/2 inch #4s to the side. I am just glad it was not a bobcat because they come in ready to do business with them claws! :crazy:
X2 I want to be able to see as much as posible also! Me and blue5 was hunting a tight setup one day and had called two cats already this was or thrid set 30sec into the set we had a big male cat come out of nowhere blue shot him at two steps as he was leaping at or hunting buddy! Luckley he blew his front left foot off lol and he was waying fully alive and wounded at one yard from our buddy i have never seen a grown man cry on a hunt but it was as close as i have ever been to seeing it!

Latest posts