Taking Skeeter to Duck River soon!

BDS05

AllOutdoors said:
Football Hunter said:
Seems like fun,and its public water.Smallmouth are awesome there,sorry to anyone fishing for carp and drum from the bank.

Give me a call. I will tag along. :grin:

I can trade some crappie holes! :D

catman529

Bet you didn't know I was bass fishing from the bank... all I caught was a longear sunfish, but the water near the bank was too muddy after the boats came through.

Oh and since it's public water... I'll find your Skeeter and start cast netting for bait right in your honey hole. :grin:

rebs1

Hey Swamp- I was going to follow him in my Triton. What time we leaving???

Football Hunter

catman529 said:
Bet you didn't know I was bass fishing from the bank... all I caught was a longear sunfish, but the water near the bank was too muddy after the boats came through.

Oh and since it's public water... I'll find your Skeeter and start cast netting for bait right in your honey hole. :grin:
That statement shows how little you know about bass,I usually look for muddy water for smallies.Cast away,I can move 45 miles an hour,see if you can keep up.

catman529

Football Hunter said:
catman529 said:

That statement shows how little you know about bass,I usually look for muddy water for smallies.Cast away,I can move 45 miles an hour,see if you can keep up.
I don't know a ton about bass but I don't know nothing. I've been catching them for a number of years and have learned a bit through experience. And I really don't care to move 45 miles an hour. That would pass by too many good holes and leave them a boiling ocean of wake... I can cover 200 yards thoroughly in an hour, wading. I don't have anything against the boats, I just don't like seeing them on small rivers like the duck, as I said. To each his own...

TNHoytHunter

FootballHunter.....This is officially my first post ever on this site. I have lurked for a number of years...but tonight I must break the silence. I am an avid deer hunter,turkey hunter and fisherman....so I have read many posts. I check the site nightly-looking at photos and keeping up with what folks are saying. I have read many, many by catamn529, as I live fairly close, have even seen the same albino buck he has posted photos of and have seen some of the ponds he catches grass carp from...I have read many posts and looked at many pics that you have posted,,,some of your son's smallies on the Hill. I just feel like it needs to be said... I hope your picking and jabbing at catman is all in good fun FH. CM is a young outdoorsman...much like your son... and if you took a minute to read his posts and actually appreciate the fact that he is an avid outdoorsman himself, you would show him a little more respect rather than getting a cheap giggle out of others who read these posts, at his expense. I have kept up with CM's posts... I too am a bass fisherman...think I can give most a run for their money--have cussed most drum I have caught, thinking they were a nice bronzeback....never liked a carp...but they were not my game of choice that outing..but I have caught them by accident.They are not the challenge you and I seek when we back the boat in, but for him they are the challenge of the day, when he can break away and hit a pond or creek or river close by. At the end of the day- the species is not the important thing...the fact that a young man is in the wild, outsmarting a cold blooded creature that is pretty damned smart, staying out of trouble, appreciating the very same things you and I and so many others truly appreciate...that is what is important. Like CM said,,,to each his own,,but we are all brothers of the outdoors so give respect where respect is due, to a brother and friend of the outdoors. Nuff said. Wanna go fishing fellas?

catman529

Thanks TNHoytHunter for the great post, and welcome to the forum. Hope you get along with the people here... you will with many of them, but there are always the jerks too ;) But in seriousness there are some very good people on this forum - ones I've talked to online and ones I've met in person.

Oh and you seem to know a lot of the ponds and stuff in the area... PM me and we can exchange some fishing holes if you like. I know a few for most species of fish around here, since there are so many different fish I like to catch...

One other thing I don't get. Most pics I post of carp here get at least one comment on how ugly they are.... yet catfish are a very popular sport fish, and are equally as ugly if not worse than carp. Come on, they are all just fish, and there is something unique and thrilling about night fishing for carp with canned corn, your drag set loose, and listening for that frantic buzz of a carp running your line....

AllOutdoors

catman529 said:
Football Hunter said:
catman529 said:

I don't know a ton about bass but I don't know nothing. I've been catching them for a number of years and have learned a bit through experience. And I really don't care to move 45 miles an hour. That would pass by too many good holes and leave them a boiling ocean of wake... I can cover 200 yards thoroughly in an hour, wading. I don't have anything against the boats, I just don't like seeing them on small rivers like the duck, as I said. To each his own...

Since you don't like seeing boats on the Duck, maybe you should get with TWRA and get all the public boat ramps closed that are on the Duck. Maybe that will slow boat traffic down to where you can tolerate it and fish your way. I have fished a very long stretch of the Duck River for years, and boats are the norm.

catman529

AllOutdoors said:
catman529 said:
Football Hunter said:
catman529 said:

Since you don't like seeing boats on the Duck, maybe you should get with TWRA and get all the public boat ramps closed that are on the Duck. Maybe that will slow boat traffic down to where you can tolerate it and fish your way. I have fished a very long stretch of the Duck River for years, and boats are the norm.
I can see why a bass boat is a great way to get around the river, even if it's small. If I had a boat like that, I might even be tempted and could get used to it. I suppose the problem is that I've been bank fishing as long as I've been fishing, so that is what I am biased toward. I've been spoiled by a quiet river, wading or casting from shore. And I have to say the Piney river, which I just started fishing, is one of the most tranquil rivers I've seen yet and is teeming with good fish. Can't wait to fish it again...

stryker

What about me following along in my javelin on the way to your honey hole and I catch it dry..... I'll pass u all up on the way to my honey hole next... I hope u guys can keep up.. LMAO
rebs1 said:
Hey Swamp- I was going to follow him in my Triton. What time we leaving???

Football Hunter

TNHoytHunter said:
FootballHunter.....This is officially my first post ever on this site. I have lurked for a number of years...but tonight I must break the silence. I am an avid deer hunter,turkey hunter and fisherman....so I have read many posts. I check the site nightly-looking at photos and keeping up with what folks are saying. I have read many, many by catamn529, as I live fairly close, have even seen the same albino buck he has posted photos of and have seen some of the ponds he catches grass carp from...I have read many posts and looked at many pics that you have posted,,,some of your son's smallies on the Hill. I just feel like it needs to be said... I hope your picking and jabbing at catman is all in good fun FH. CM is a young outdoorsman...much like your son... and if you took a minute to read his posts and actually appreciate the fact that he is an avid outdoorsman himself, you would show him a little more respect rather than getting a cheap giggle out of others who read these posts, at his expense. I have kept up with CM's posts... I too am a bass fisherman...think I can give most a run for their money--have cussed most drum I have caught, thinking they were a nice bronzeback....never liked a carp...but they were not my game of choice that outing..but I have caught them by accident.They are not the challenge you and I seek when we back the boat in, but for him they are the challenge of the day, when he can break away and hit a pond or creek or river close by. At the end of the day- the species is not the important thing...the fact that a young man is in the wild, outsmarting a cold blooded creature that is pretty damned smart, staying out of trouble, appreciating the very same things you and I and so many others truly appreciate...that is what is important. Like CM said,,,to each his own,,but we are all brothers of the outdoors so give respect where respect is due, to a brother and friend of the outdoors. Nuff said. Wanna go fishing fellas?
Glad I brought it out of you!No,I dont care about carp and drum and turtles anymore than you,I cuss em,sounds like what you do too.Yes Its all in good fun,cause I sure wont be in his way for those trash fish spots.

On the other hand,I am growing a little tired of "not wanting to go 45 mph" and,"I only like the quiet of bank fishing."

When I put in at Dale Hollow,head 2 or 3 miles to one of my favorite spots,I feel like a kid at Christmas,cant wait to get there,so the purity of bank fishing with an Ugly stik for trash fish thing is getting old.

But to each his own,he can do what he wants,and for now,its still a free country and I can too.

Carry on,have fun,Im going deer hunting for the weekend.

bob

catman your not alone buddy. There are plenty of people who can't stand the me me me aholes that our lakes and rivers are overflowing with. As an old timer i remember when being a fisherman was all that you needed to know about the guy you saw on the water. he was good people and you respected him and his piece of water. Those days are gone and this thread is a good indication of why.

eyeseeker

Amen to that ! I have met Catman and he is a very honest and respectful young man. I can remember the days when I was just like him.....just wanted to get out and catch fish and the bigger the better! I didn't care if they were carp, catfish, smallmouth or walleye...I just wanted to fish.
I find it very interesting that as a group we fisherman wonder and complain about the next generation but look down on younger individuals amongst us that aren't at the same place in their fishing "career". In that I mean the natural progression a young person makes from fishing with worms and happy to catch anything to begining to target specific species to the trophy fisherman or tournament fisherman that many of us become. After some reflection I feel sorry for anyone whom has lost the ability to enjoy the simple aspects of fishing....I wouldn't trade my memories of those days for all of the days of fishing that lay ahead of me !
Lets put this in perspective....... I am sure glad that as a young man he is into fishing( for anything) wrather than out gang bangin and pushin drugs or other things his generation is becoming known for ! The majority of us had parental or other role model influences that got us into the outdoors, but how many of us have made an effort to do this for someone who didn't?
Catman....if you don't mind just a couple questions for you because I'm hoping to prove a point.....
Did you father get you into fishing...or someone else in your family?
Have you ever fished from a boat ?
Has anyone who had been fishing for a long period of time taken you out and showed you new techniques, lakes, or how to catch a species you've never caught ?

Just wondering.....I think some of the folks on this sight have lost touch with what it used to mean to be a fisherman.

catman529

Thanks eyeseeker.

Bout the questions... I got myself into fishing, just kind of developed an interest. It could have possibly started during our first family vacation during to Cape May, NJ and seeing the fishermen there. But I think it really started when I first rode my bike down to the Harpeth river and got real curious about catching fish in it. My dad did get me started though - bought the tackle, took me to the river, taught me to cast. Then I took off from there and I still fish the exact same hole where I learned to cast.

I have fished from a boat but small ones only, like a canoe or my old inflatable. But I would love to get out on a flat bottom boat sometime. I've been a 99% bank fisherman since I started. Tried a bit of fly fishing from a kayak a couple weeks ago, got to practice positioning the boat to fish, lol. Kayaks are perfect for the Harpeth too, and are on my wanted list...

Now as for someone very experienced who may have taken me fishing... can't think of much off the top of my head. If I had to choose someone it would be rsimms for sure, man I would love to get into big blues the way he does. I'd also like to go with someone musky fishing some time down the road.

Most of my techniques and fishing style either came from reading (online and in print) and from experience, and also from word of mouth. A buddy o mine got me into the bitsy minnow this summer, but before then, I rarely ever used any kind of crankbait. So I pick stuff up along the way, but no, I can't remember going out with an old timer and learning some fresh stuff.

And yeah, I think some people have definitely forgotten what fishing is all about. A bad day fishing beats a good day at work... it's just good to be out by the water. And appreciate what you do catch... unless it's a turtle. :grin:

Hangnail

I could, but I won't. Well, maybe a little. Worst two things that have happened to the outdoors in the last three decades is fast boats and ATVs. Could ruin a day off quicker than a visit to the dentist. Just my opinion.

Football Hunter

Just remember,this was in response to,"I wanna fish the river alone,with no boat traffic"Why is that not selfish?Wether you like me or not,I could care less,Ill take my boat on a public waterway,seems fine to me.

Latest posts