Taking of Non-Native Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane37110

The TWRA Watchable Wildlife webpage states the following birds are non native and not protected,(copy and pasted from here):
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/back ... 5215944710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Backyard Wildlife Information

"Non-native Birds"

All birds native to North America (including Tennessee) are federally protected by Migratory Bird Treat Act laws. It is illegal to harm, kill, possess, transport, or collect dead birds, nests, or eggs without permits issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Violators are subject to penalties of fines and jail time for violations. The following list is birds NOT protected by federal laws, however there are laws about transport of captive-raised game birds. Contact TWRA or USFWS about details on transport of captive-raised game birds.

List of non-native, invasive, and domestic birds not federally protected by Migratory Bird Treat Act laws and found in Tennessee.
1.House Sparrow
2.European Starling
3.Rock Pigeon
4.Eurasian Collared Dove
5.Muscovy Duck
6.Chinese Goose
7.Mute Swan
8.Ring-necked Pheasant, Chukar, and other non-native game birds released for hunting purposes.

I know about the Eurasian doves, can the Muscovy Duck and Chinese Goose and Muted Swan be taken as well or are there federal regulations that prohibit that even though they are "not Protected"? and would the normal "Manner and means" of taking similar birds apply?

cm1021

I'm wondering this as well because I have seen a swan that I believe is a muted swan that hangs around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts