Taking down ladder stands.

Kirk

I plan to take down four, ladder stands now that the season is over. They have been in place for several years and I will probably need to replace all the ratchets straps when they are relocated.

Does anyone have some handy tips to make the job of removal easier?

DoubleRidge

Ones that I can drive too on tractor or truck....like on a food plot or field.....I've carried an extension ladder before and gone up back of tree and released ratchet strap from ladder...... obviously it's nice and safer to have a buddy to go along.

Agree with others...if going alone and releasing ratchets from platform...tie it off good with ropes and untie from ground.

Jon54

I plan to take down four, ladder stands now that the season is over. They have been in place for several years and I will probably need to replace all the ratchets straps when they are relocated.

Have someone with you. Don't think you can't fall. I paid my way thru college painting billboards, yet 4 years ago, the unthinkable happened. 8 weeks not able to put any weight on my right leg followed by 12 weeks in a boot plus several months of therapy.

Attachments

• 98D42A46-87A6-4CC4-8A47-3E549FA0ABFD.jpeg
    98D42A46-87A6-4CC4-8A47-3E549FA0ABFD.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 62

RobDooley

I leave my four ladder stands up. I check and replace straps as needed. Check stabilizer bar as well. If I plan on moving one or putting up a new one, I use the "Heavy Duty Ladder Stand 2nd Man". I put two 21 foot ladder stands up this year solo. 65 years of age. It did kick my old a$$.

dgolden

I second using 2 ropes tied at the top, wrap around the tree and tied off at the ladder. I do this putting stands up as well.
Taking a stand down, I'd cut the old straps with a pole saw so you don't have to climb up.

A few years ago I learned the hard way. It was no fun!

Attachments

• 20259BDF-B7A1-4988-A5B6-35C4138629CD.jpeg
    20259BDF-B7A1-4988-A5B6-35C4138629CD.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 151

Gravey

I use two ropes. Tie each to a corner of the stand where it attaches to tree and let drop. Climb down and criss cross ropes around tree and tie off to ladder pulling tight. Then climb back up, undo ratchet, climb down and untie ropes. Let ladder fall or walk it down. Easy peasy.
If doing it solo this works great. If there are two of you have one go up and take all straps off starting at the top then working down. Once at the bottom pull on the ladder so the top starts forward and walk it down.

tnanh

i have used climbing sticks and a lineman belt to climb up and do repair/work
This is what we have done for several years. works great for putting them up, taking them down, or putting a new strap on. If the strap has been on for a while we just cut it and use a new one. Not worth the money you save for the risk you can take re-using an old strap.

ttf909

Pole saw to cut straps.

GRIT

Bring a small extension ladder and someone to help you. I fell 4 years ago taking my ladder stands down and broke my collar bone. It can happen quick. The older you are the harder you fall.

KyRick

No help with the taking down. But when you put them back up use chains and turnbuckles and you won't have to worry about rachet straps rotting. Much safer method.

mjwendorf

Take an extension ladder to take the straps off. We use chain and turn buckles on all our stands. Way safer then a ratchet strap. Just loosen everything up and end of year.

Latest posts